Another NYC light roast: Nicaragua Pacamará Ambar - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
michael

#11: Post by michael »

where can you get this coffee in nyc 8)

guydebord (original poster)

#12: Post by guydebord (original poster) replying to michael »

At Cafe Integral in Nolita, its also a nice space and they sell some other cool coffee stuff
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

michael

#13: Post by michael »

do they make drinks with this coffee at the shop 8)

#14: Post by guydebord (original poster) replying to michael »

Yes, I had the chance to taste it there as Kalita and espresso.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by LBIespresso »

guydebord wrote:...Needless to say, super fine grind.

This one might be an interesting challenge for those without a profiling machine, Im actually super interested to hear if a good shot is achievable and how.
It took me 5 tries this morning to get a balanced shot (still lacking sweetness). This is a challenge for sure! First thing I learned was that needing a super fine grind is, if possible, an understatement! My Monolith flat was at 1.5 on my last and best attempt with RPM at 500 as well. I still feel like I need to go finer.

I did have some yesterday as a V60 at Cafe Integral and it was an amazing cup. Intense cocoa nib flavor. If you like milk in your coffee (I don't) I imagine this would be pretty nice. So at least I know if I give up on pulling a great shot I can make a great pourover with this.
LMWDP #580

michael

#16: Post by michael replying to LBIespresso »

Got it on the third try yesterday and fine tuned it a bit more this morning, but yes much much finer grind, around 6 marks finer on the monolith @400 rpm

I like milk in my coffee generally and I thought this was very good; also a hit in an iced latte with a touch of cream this afternoon

I going to get some more next week at the cafe 8)

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by LBIespresso »

michael wrote:
I going to get some more next week at the cafe 8)
Forgot to mention that I thought the cafe and barista were amazing. The barista was super friendly and chatty considering how busy they were. He was quizzing me on my coffee gear and approach to espresso. Then offered advice as well. I was trying to be mindful of how busy they were but he was super engaging with everyone. I look forward to going back!
LMWDP #580

#18: Post by guydebord (original poster) »

I found that the long preinfusion works well to bring out the sweetness. I'm happy to say that I finally tamed the beans and can't wait to open the next bag. It's not often that such a specially processed great bean comes along. Love the challenge!

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by LBIespresso »

Got the grind set at 1.0 on my MF and with 15 second Pre-infusion and 45 seconds inclusive of PI I got a great shot. Tried it again as an americano and it was even better. Possibly the best americano in recent memory.

Tried pour over this afternoon and decided I am not willing to waste any more coffee trying to figure this bean out. Just gonna stick with espresso and americano.

If you like a challenge, I highly recommend trying this one. The reward is worth it.
LMWDP #580

#20: Post by guydebord (original poster) »

LBIespresso wrote: Possibly the best americano in recent memory.
If you like a challenge, I highly recommend trying this one. The reward is worth it.
I just decided to make an Americano and holly crap! I kid you not, but it is without doubt the best Americano I have tried in recent memory. Unbelievable. BTW, I do my Americanos in a double wall 8oz glass. Im running to Integral now to get some more before they sellout.