Algerian Coffee Stores in London

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
scotchio

#1: Post by scotchio »

I've noticed that no one seems to have mentioned Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton St. London,
for a place to buy beans and coffee paraphernalia. It's a tiny place but seems to have (literally) hundreds of blends of coffee on sale both beans or they will grind for you there and then.

I'm quite new to this so wondering if I've missed something?

ziobeege_72

#2: Post by ziobeege_72 »

They are ok - but a long way from the top tier. I was given a 12 month subscription service from them as a present and whilst they had some interesting coffee, for some reason they insisted on roasting the bejesus out of them. Always very dark and very oily. Not good and bit of a shame. The staff also dont know their stuff compared to others.

Stick with the recommendations given I'd say, but just having noticed that you are based in London, getting your beans from Monmouth would also be an excellent choice.

zin1953

#3: Post by zin1953 »

scotchio wrote:I've noticed that no one seems to have mentioned Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton St. London,
for a place to buy beans and coffee paraphernalia. It's a tiny place but seems to have (literally) hundreds of blends of coffee on sale both beans or they will grind for you there and then.

I'm quite new to this so wondering if I've missed something?
As I live in California, I've not tried their coffee -- then again, I haven't even heard of them. The UK roasters which seem to be discussed most are, in alphabetical order:

Happy Donkey, Reading, Berkshire, UK
Has Bean Coffee, Seighford, Staffordshire, UK
James Gourmet Coffee, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, UK
Londinium, London, UK
Square Mile Coffee, London, UK

Hope that helps . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.