Aging Indonesian green coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
turtle

#1: Post by turtle »

I have been semi/short aging my Indonesian green coffee for between 6 and 9 months before roasting (i.e. roasting last year's crop)

I've found that I get a much more rounded taste profile between a semi/short roasted coffee and a fresh coffee which seems sharper and more "earthy".

Right now I am into a 20# bag of Sulawesi 2015 crop and it is so amazing that I find it hard to gather the words together to describe it.

Does anyone else short age their Indonesian green coffee before roasting or do you just get it in, roast it up, and drink it down?

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Aging greens in Asia is similar to the way we use to put up corn harvest in cribs. Difference? We used cribs to dry the corn. Coffee in Asia is put up to gain humidity during monsoons.

Your post makes me think about how I miss the funkiness/forest-floor Sumatrans of the past. Importers are driving cleaner, more refined greens from Asia. I think I will put about 20 lbs back of a Sumatran in stock and see if I can figure out some nice humid aging approach.

Our problem is that once Fall hits, furnace comes on and there goes the humidity with which to age them.

-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Just send me a bag and I will keep them in my garage for you here in South Carolina got plenty of humidity!