Advice Needed: Intelligentsia Honey Badger Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
tglodjo

#1: Post by tglodjo »

Can anyone here offer tips on pulling shots of Honey Badger Espresso? I'm really struggling. The bag says 18g in, 45g out, and I can't get a good cup with that. I've also tried a ristretto and I nearly spit it out it was so bad. Flavor notes say raspberry, tangerine, and brown sugar--but it seems no matter what I do, it's an ungodly sour flavor. I'm brewing at 200 degrees on LMLM and using a Niche grinder.

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to tglodjo »

How long post roast?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Advertisement
tglodjo (original poster)

#3: Post by tglodjo (original poster) replying to RyanJE »

About a week when I pulled.

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE replying to tglodjo »

I know common wisdom says that should be OK. But some of Intelly's roasts are pretty light and it might be better closer to 10 -14 days.

You might want to try a more traditional basket with something like 14 or 15G in and 45 ish out and see if that helps.

#5: Post by tglodjo (original poster) »

Yeah, and I think I'm going to bump the temp up a few degrees and try 203 or 205. I've never really gone that high in temp, but this blend is a little lighter than I'm used to--which is why I assume the recommended ratio is higher than my normal routine. I'll give this a shot later today or tomorrow morning and see what it's like.

RyanJE

#6: Post by RyanJE replying to tglodjo »

FWIW their recipe is actually 18 in 56 out in 40 seconds. So its a longer ratio as well as longer brew time.

https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/me ... ger_IS.pdf

Honestly, you might also play with temps around 197. Sometimes it actually tames the "harshness" in lighter roasts..

Mark08859

#7: Post by Mark08859 »

RyanJE wrote:Honestly, you might also play with temps around 197. Sometimes it actually tames the "harshness" in lighter roasts..
Yes. It was always my understanding that a lower temp would help bring out more sweetness.

Advertisement
nuketopia

#8: Post by nuketopia »

I haven't tried this one. I don't know the roast level, but their PDF infosheet indicates that dial-in may be elusive. 18g dose with 56g out in 40s is unusual, and just a bit over a 3:1 ratio.

I'm guessing this is a light roast. So it may need a rest time of 2 weeks, rather than a more typical week or so. I'm pulling Gotham Degrees North and it is still getting better at 13 days post roast. I suspect the Honey Badger will need a rather long rest as well.

Sour is a sign of under extraction. There are a variety of ways to address it. You might try dosing down and grinder finer. If it is really light 204-205f would not be out of line for temperature. More edgy techniques might be trying a very soft, low TDS water formulation or pre-warming the beans prior to grinding.

Harshness or roughness, which tends towards bitter or sometimes tannic, "tongue-drying" mouth feel can sometimes happen with under-developed beans. Sometimes the latter is taken for sourness, but it is different. These would be consistent with over-extraction, but I suspect this is not your problem.

Also, allow the espresso to cool somewhat prior to tasting it.

#9: Post by tglodjo (original poster) »

It's interesting that the recipe online (18g in, 56g out) is different from the one printed on the bag (18g in, 45g out). I raised the temp to 204 and pulled an 18/45 shot in 35 seconds. It was much better than my initial pulls, but definitely still a good bit off from my taste preferences. I think I need to dial it in a little better, as well as let the beans rest some more. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

rg60614

#10: Post by rg60614 »

I've had trouble dialing it in the honey badger as well (I also have a LMLM and i've tried grinding with a Preciso as well as a NS MDX). Let me know if you find a good setting.