Advice For Ordering Roasted Coffees Online

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by JB90068 »

Boy am I confused on how to approach this...

For a number of years, I've gotten used to just buying my beans from a couple of local roasters. It's worked just fine and I've approached it, that since it isn't broken, don't fix it it. Now as I've become more knowledgeable so to speak, I want to start trying single origin or blends that I can't find locally. I can read that a certain roast is dark, medium or nordic light and that it has hints of this or that, but to me, that doesn't really translate to my palate. I read that geisha is the hot bean, but I tried a local shot from Ethiopia and it wasn't to my liking. So before I get a second mortgage on my house to buy a pound of geisha online, it would be nice to sample it...

Are there roasters that are doing great work, where I can buy small sample packages of a few of their different roasts at a time? This way I'm not burdened with lbs that I don't like or want.

My taste at this point is generally a medium roast, that's not too acidic, but has full flavor and a decent mouthfeel without a cloying finish - I don't want to have to scrub my tongue after drinking it. Generally I prefer cappuccinos, but with a smooth roast, espresso is just fine. I also like chocolate, caramel, and berries, but that is generally for an afternoon or dinner espresso.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Try Klatch's Espresso Lover Trio kit a try. If you enjoy it, and you have a fairly regular consumption, you'll have it easy not having to re-order and it's free shipping. Or, dip your toes in slowly and try just the WBC Espresso first, which sounds right up your alley from your flavor descriptions.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

Thank you Tom.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

chanty 77

#4: Post by chanty 77 »

TomC wrote:Try Klatch's Espresso Lover Trio kit a try. If you enjoy it, and you have a fairly regular consumption, you'll have it easy not having to re-order and it's free shipping. Or, dip your toes in slowly and try just the WBC Espresso first, which sounds right up your alley from your flavor descriptions.
The WBC sounds great, but not even 11 ounces for $19. Yikes.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baristainzmking »

Klatch used to sell 12 oz bags, but now the smallest size is 310 grams (10.9 oz). I guess that's one way to raise prices. What I don't understand is why use grams on the small bags and ounces/pounds on the large ones. It makes no sense. And why 310 grams and not 300, to make math more difficult? :lol:
Julia

MNate

#6: Post by MNate »

I'd hit one of the popularly recommended beans on HB that sounds right to your tastes and next time you can post saying, you want something more... and someone here can point you to your next try. I feel like how you talk about medium roasts would quickly give you a lot of good ones to try.

Online I almost always buy 5 pounds at a time as it brings the price per pound way down once free shipping is factored in. Freeze most of it. And I probably wait until a nice discount is offered online (you know, Valentine's Day is coming so maybe someone will offer one then?). Even if it's not my favorite I usually finding myself liking it more as I get through it, tweaking how I make it so I like it better.

chanty 77

#7: Post by chanty 77 »

baristainzmking wrote:Klatch used to sell 12 oz bags, but now the smallest size is 310 grams (10.9 oz). I guess that's one way to raise prices. What I don't understand is why use grams on the small bags and ounces/pounds on the large ones. It makes no sense. And why 310 grams and not 300, to make math more difficult? :lol:
ha-ha cuz 310 grams sounds bigger than 10.9 oz.? They must really think people are not all that bright.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baristainzmking replying to chanty 77 »

Seems that way...:(
Julia

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

There's an old thread that might still be useful.

Any roasters offering small quantities of coffee?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by PIXIllate »

chanty 77 wrote:ha-ha cuz 310 grams sounds bigger than 10.9 oz.? They must really think people are not all that bright.
It's more likely because a very standard dose is 18-18.5g of coffee. If you have your setup and prep down and waste zero shots you'll end up with a very small amount of coffee left over at the end of the bag with 310g vs bags with 300g.

With 300g bags from Detour and Hatch I usually have 7-11g left over due to imperfect weighing during the bagging process. Somtimes I mix a half and half with whatever's next to be opened and sometimes I save them all in a bag for seasoning grinders.

I'd appreciate it if the roasters I buy from went to 310g bags.