The absurdity of it all...

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
civ

#1: Post by civ »

Hello:

I was about to put this in the "Craziest ... " forum, but I think it is way beyond crazy.
"It's unbelievable. You really can taste a lot of blackberries, white peach, raspberries, apricot, and the mouthfeel is so creamy. Almost like honey. And it isn't acidic at all. Even people that don't like coffee, it's impossible you don't like this. It's like a very floral tea."
This is the type of mud the coffee world is sinking into.

Of course, YMMV.
It's just my (very curmudgeonly) $0.02.

CIV

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

How can it be good at all with no blueberry. Three cheers to curmudgeons !!!
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Finca Maria Geisha, the winner of the last Best of Panama auction, was up at $1300.50 per pound. Imagine the descriptions it will get when it sells at around $75 per cup.

It's what happens when you get billionaires chasing after coffee.
Jim Schulman

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 »

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Whoever is making the money here; it's not the growers, who only got $185.50 per pound.
Jim Schulman

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

I'm waiting for a coffee that has the flavor of jack fruit, or, was that jack s**t?

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Peppersass »

another_jim wrote:Whoever is making the money here; it's not the growers, who only got $185.50 per pound.
The growers aren't making money at $185.50 per pound???

They didn't get as many absolute dollars as the wholesaler, but the growers' relative profit margin was much higher. The wholesaler got about seven time their cost, not counting the auctioneer's percentage. The growers got -- what? -- 100-200 times what growers usually get for a pound of specialty coffee greens and -- what? -- 200-400 times cost (I don't know typical margins for specialty coffee growers, but I'd hope it's at least 2x. Even if it's much lower they did very well indeed on this coffee.)

Also, the growers got a guaranteed fixed price for their greens. The wholesaler took the risk of what the auction would bring. I'm sure sometimes they win big and sometimes they don't.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Plinyyounger »

Some of the descriptors drive me nuts, I make good coffee and have never made it as good as some can make it sound. Every time I read the word "--bomb," I want to pull my hair out. Other then that, I'm super happy, Lololololo.
Family, coffee and fun.

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

Peppersass wrote:The growers aren't making money at $185.50 per pound???
You tell me, the Panamanian auction winners get $1300 per pound, the Ethiopian ones $185.

By the time they get served in a cafe, the Ethiopian sells at around $50 per cup. The super Geishas, I've heard, get around $100 per cup in the Far East. At normal roasting weight loss, and 15 grams per cup, you get about 25 cups worth from a pound of coffee. That's around $8 per cup for the Ethiopian coffee, and around $50 per cup for the Panamanian. Seems that if you enjoy marking up coffee like it's strip club champagne, you should go for Ethiopian auction coffees.
Jim Schulman

civ (original poster)

#10: Post by civ (original poster) »

Hello:
another_jim wrote: Whoever is making the money here ...
I don't think that really matters much.
There is always some sucker wanting to show everyone else just how much bigger theirs is.
Add the ages old story about fools, their money and how quickly they part with it and that's it.

It all the absolutely ridiculous BS spun around this that really gets me.

Fortunately, like in the tale of the emperor being naked and all that, there will always someone who sees through the BS:

... it slightly reminds me of vegetable soup ... 8^D!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

CIV