3rd wave bad, North Italian good - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ben8jam

#51: Post by ben8jam »

OldNuc wrote:The 3rd wave OJ is a light/very light roast level. No way is this true Italian espresso even though it is extracted using common espresso machines.
Third-wave isn't true "Italian" espresso. But's it's still espresso. And to make a blanket statement that third-wave is bad and North italian good, is ridiculous.

Reminds me of this wine-guy (hopefully everyone knows the irony of the specific Merlot reference):

Nick Name

#52: Post by Nick Name »

OldNuc wrote:The 3rd wave OJ is a light/very light roast level. No way is this true Italian espresso even though it is extracted using common espresso machines.
Your definition of 3rd wave seems to be a little (by a mile) narrower than what it generally means. Maybe that is the basic source of all this confusion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_wave_of_coffee

Naturally traditional Italian espresso is far away from what the definition of 3rd wave coffee is. Even Northern Italian, I've visited there a dozen times and still waiting to get my first excellent espresso. I've had a couple of decent ones, I'll have to admit.

ben8jam

#53: Post by ben8jam »

another_jim wrote:And galloping self contradiction requires what?
Ok, you kinda got me there, but I would push to say there is fact in that statement.... I think Light SOs DO require more work to nail. Darker roasted blends tend to be more forgiving. In both technique and grinder choice.

another_jim
Team HB

#54: Post by another_jim »

You're right on that part; I just couldn't resist an inviting target.
Jim Schulman

lagoon

#55: Post by lagoon »

ben8jam wrote:
This is such a silly and subjective thread.
To the contrary, this has been one of the best recent discussions on these boards in my view. Sure the topic name is a bit polarising, but the content of the thread itself is producing an excellent discussion.

There's been a number of well thought out responses, supported by personal experiences, calling into question whether the current orthodoxy is headed the right way.

This discussion is very timely and entirely consistent with the raison d'être of this site.
★ Helpful

Bret

#56: Post by Bret »

SiempreTuParceroMike wrote:I don't think any of us saw that one coming! Hey, I'm open-minded. I'll assume you're being serious and say that I'd gladly try it.

Replace my espresso drinking routine with your concoction? I don't think so :)

Best,
Mike
I don't replace my espresso routine with it either 8) . I didn't even think of it myself. I saw Dritan Alsela on IG dubiously tasting one offered to him on one of his travels, and he was surprised that it tasted good. So I tried it myself, and liked it. It tastes more like Russian spiced tea, so it is not really an 'espresso experience'. Once in a while it really hits the spot, though, and works for guests who don't care for latte's, are dairy free, etc. I can offer them something special so they don't feel left out.

I prefer the fresh squeezed, unpasteurized OJ from Trader Joes.

Nick Name

#57: Post by Nick Name »

Sarah Dooley from Slayer actually put it quite well: "Third wave coffee is simply a silly title for those who need one."

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/ ... specialty/

I think it's all about quality (call it 3rd wave or speciality coffee or anything you like) not about the roast degree. But once you burn the coffee there's hardly any speciality in it - no matter where it came from and how much it cost.

OldNuc

#58: Post by OldNuc »

ben8jam wrote:Third-wave isn't true "Italian" espresso. But's it's still espresso. And to make a blanket statement that third-wave is bad and North italian good, is ridiculous.

Reminds me of this wine-guy (hopefully everyone knows the irony of the specific Merlot reference):

<video>
I never mentioned either northern or southern Italian espresso, just Italian espresso.

I suggest going back to post #50 and reading it again.

ben8jam

#59: Post by ben8jam replying to OldNuc »

Was referring to post title. Should have put a line break in there.

SiempreTuParceroMike

#60: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

Nick Name wrote:Sarah Dooley from Slayer actually put it quite well: "Third wave coffee is simply a silly title for those who need one."

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/ ... specialty/
I like Dooley's quote, but I also found it interesting/peculiar that the phrase "lighter roast" was only used once in the whole article. Infer what you will. :wink: