2 month old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso. I'm confused! - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by njtnjt »

These beans are available on Amazon. Might try a bag for fun.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

aerojyp wrote:That was a great thread, thanks. It's a few years old, I wonder if Jim ever followed up with the blend he suggested?
I struck out roasting three robustas, and trying them at various ages. They staled from rubber to cocoa, never approaching the depth of flavor I got in the Italian blend.

I also mixed the Massimo with more acidic coffees; and to my taste it did not work. I'm less optimistic now on whether very bright coffees can be melded with a complex robusta.

But I'm glad to be reminded of the failure. There is clearly an art to producing very complex "roast-centric" espresso blends using robustas that I and most non-Italian roasters have yet to learn about. With the current dominance of very light, acidic and bright-bitter coffees; this is not going to be something people work on. But especially in the depth of winter, I'm ready for a break from third wave salads. :wink:
Jim Schulman

Chert

#13: Post by Chert »

njtnjt wrote:These beans are available on Amazon. Might try a bag for fun.
Or you might try that Massimo that Jim was talking about. My thoughts are that even readily available Starbucks, canned Italian blends in the supermarket, Peets from the supermarket I could try on occasion but I won't because I have in the past and -- no crema. If I can pull a bag out of the freezer once a month and enjoy a dark shot and a latte then I won't have wasted my $25. But if they go flat like a can of preground then I'll either have to wait until high end cafés come around to dabbling in the dark side, I start roasting again, or just stick with salad, which as long as there is a tasty vinaigrette (requires imported Dijon, you know) is my preference anyway. :wink:
LMWDP #198

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by njtnjt »

Thank you Flint,

Yes, I would be disappointed if my $25 little bag of beans yielded nothing but black water. I will consider instead picking up a bag of the Massimo.

I am currently drinking Toscano, but would like a change sometimes just for fun.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

peacecup

#15: Post by peacecup »

I really like some of the Italian espresso blends I get here in Sweden. As long as they are packed properly they stay fresh until opened, then I freeze the immediately. I get kilo bags, and they stay good in the freezer for 2-3 weeks after opening.

These are nearly all 100% arabica blends that I use - I don't care much for the robusta blends.

I also like these better than much of the freshly-roasted espresso I get here. But I'm no cupping expert. I like the sweet and chocolate notes I get, and also the "roasted coffee" aroma and taste (however one expresses that).
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

aerojrp (original poster)

#16: Post by aerojrp (original poster) »

Chert,

Re the bitter taste, you might try playing with the temp and flow some. As I was dialing in the Kimbo, I found it to be smoothest at a fairly restricted flow rate. just a little more open, and I did not enjoy the taste at all. I normally keep my temp set low since I use Italian blends (216 on the pid for 192-193 static at the group), I tried 2 degrees hotter, and the kimbo was not as nice. Just finished the first 1kg bag, and over 2 weeks there was absolutely no change in the result. Rock solid result every time, with no adjustments needed in the grind.

My second bag is in the freezer, and I'm working through some fresher stuff before I open it. It'll probably open it in about 3 weeks I think. I'll let everyone know how it did frozen.

Jim

Chert

#17: Post by Chert »

aerojrp wrote:Chert,

Re the bitter taste, you might try playing with the temp and flow some.

Jim
That is a good point. My first shots had quite the tight grind. Subsequent ones I loosened up a bit to try for the parameters printed on the bag. This morning I went back to the ristretto range and the groups were still not a full steady state temperature so I'm sure I had below the 198-202 range I am typically shooting for.

So today I had a tight, rich Italian dark roast espresso warming up the group followed by a sweet strawberry-lemony shot of Velton's Bonsai blend pulled with the group at temperature. The Kimbo might not stay in the freezer as long as I had originally thought.
LMWDP #198

phillip canuck

#18: Post by phillip canuck »

Like many here, I was buoyed by the thread that Jim started, Thoughts on an Italian Espresso Blend having found it from this thread. Between these two fantastic threads and TomC's thread whereupon I found one of my favorite quotes that well summarizes my thoughts (humorously) on many a cafe espresso:

From earl_grey44: Die hot lemonade, die!

I bought a 1 kilogram bag of Kili Caffe' Linea Bar. It arrived earlier this week. I was a bit concerned because it didn't have a roast date or a best before date and the Flavour Saving Valve seemed to be broken. Using 14 grams and the finest setting on my SJ Mazzer produces a 20 second shot that is good for.. nothing. If I use a triple basket and load 19 grams then I get a drinkable dull ristretto. They sure seem like old beans to me. For now it's fine in my cappuccinos.

Despite this initial set back, I'm undeterred and I would like to try another Italian espresso blend of the sort discussed in this thread.

FWIW, I've been roasting Liquid Amber into second crack for well over a year and it produces a sort of Italian-Blend-lite espresso that I am exceedingly happy with.

What got me started down this road was a gift of Peet's Holiday Blend coffee last month. The package read, 'The Best Beans of 2013'. I surely would have stuck my nose in the air, but I was out of coffee and so gave the whole beans a go in my grinder. Like Jim and aerojrp, I was pleasantly surprised.

-phillip

mathof

#19: Post by mathof »

TomC wrote:My vote would be for: More Robusta in the blend.
That particular blend (Espresso Bar, Extra Cream) is listed on the Kimbo site as 100% arabica. http://www.kimbo.it/Espresso-Bar?lang=it#Extra-Cream

vze26m98

#20: Post by vze26m98 »

mathof wrote:That particular blend (Espresso Bar, Extra Cream) is listed on the Kimbo site as 100% arabica.
I think you're reading that wrong; they have a blend with "100% arabica" in the title. Most web stores identify the "Extra Cream" as a 50-50% blend:
http://www.enjoybettercoffee.com/KIMBO- ... im1003.htm

While I'm posting, I think the "Delicious Taste" blend referred to by the original poster is Kimbo's "Extreme" blend. Quite a few places say it used to be called "Delicoso gusto e piacevole," which gets you there. If so, "Extreme" is a 100% arabica blend.

If anyone finds a source for the Extreme that's fresher than the 6 Sep 2014 "best before" date here:
http://www.enjoybettercoffee.com/Kimbo- ... im1020.htm

I'd love knowing about it. I've found about eleven places that stock it, and I'll try and work through the list.

Best, Charles