Went out to dinner at a favorite restaurant, look where they sat me.

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Ken5

#1: Post by Ken5 »

This is where they randomly sat me and I was excited as this was the place where I used to get my favorite espresso before I started making my own

I didn't order the espresso!

They made one espresso the whole time I was there, it was made by our waiter who just graduated high school and has worked there one month. It took him 30 seconds to get the portafilter into the head. He ran the shot and ran it into a stainless steel flask and just let it run. Bad blonding and this is where he took out the ancap cup and filled the cup only using part of the pitcher. He walked away never taking the portafilter out of the head to dump.

Had no desire to try it, which was the thing I was looking forward to the most as I wanted to compare it to what I have been doing the last half year.

What an eye opener this was.

Ken

Advertisement
Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

That would have made a great video with the Benny Hill ('Yackety Sax") music behind it. I would have engaged him in conversation and asked who trained him. Maybe offered my assistance to the manager. Maybe even told them I would haul the machine way for FREE! :lol:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

There are coffee bars with great food and restaurants with great espresso. Both are rare.
LMWDP #198

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Doesn't seem like you missed much by not trying it. I wouldn't have either but I might have asked it's intended, "How's the espresso?" if I had the chance.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Ken5 (original poster)

#5: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

I would have watched the reaction of the person that was on the receiving end if I saw who got it. :).

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

What you experienced was par for the course no matter how upscale or critically acclaimed the restaurant is. In my opinion, they would be better served by using pods in their shiny commercial machines.

Pino

#7: Post by Pino »

Ask to make a coffee yourself. That happened to me on queen east Toronto. Although the owner knew my interest he said make it yourself. On a Synesso three group.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

I love the stores some have told about jumping behind the bar to help a barista out with some espresso tips. It's been a while.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

gimpy

#9: Post by gimpy »

Wow :shock:

tinman143

#10: Post by tinman143 »

I can't wait to go back in the offices to pull a shot after 12+ months of quality espresso at home - just for comparison. I don't dare to ever order one at a restaurant anymore!