Visiting your local lever

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
coelcanth

#1: Post by coelcanth »

i thought it would be nice to compile a list of levers in use in your neighborhood,
that way a visitor unfamiliar with the area could have a sort of guide to check out cool old machines in action..

here are a some shots of old machines in my town, in use and on display;
the cafes aren't always your typical third wave spots and the espresso is not always supreme quality,
but if you'd get a kick out of seeing an unusual machine up close they are worth a look...

I'm sure there's more out there !

more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ancientcyc ... 659274676/

caffe reggio
119 MacDougal Street

hybrid early Gloria steam machine with Astoria Eureka lever

caffe dante
79-81 MacDougal Street

old steam machine

brown cafe
61 Hester Street

la Cimbali

la Pavoni Concorso on display at La Colombe
corner of Lafayette and Prince Streets

cafe gitane
242 Mott Street

three group Astoria

Victoria Arduino and ugly Gaggia at restaurant supply shops on the Bowery...

blue bottle
160 Berry Street

1958 Faema Urania

oslo
328 Bedford Avenue

three group La San Marco with PID

Advertisement
Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

I do think it's all sorts of awesome that Blue Bottle uses a 1958 Faema Urania in duty. A machine always looks best when it's used as it was designed. The Concorso used as ornament is much less cool.
According to a lot of people, the best coffee bar in the netherlands is Hopper in Rotterdam. Quite a lot of fallout when some major newspaper did a 'best coffee in the netherlands' special and did not include Hopper.

Kees Idrocompresso Triplette
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

peacecup

#3: Post by peacecup »

Great thread and photos. There is a local lever thread already in existence somewhere here on HB - it would be good to merge this one with it, or link to it. But I don't remember the name of it...

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Javier

#4: Post by Javier »

Hi PC! I was thinking of the same thing (i.e., local lever thread already in existence), and I believe this is the one you refer to The LMWDP guide to lever espresso stands of the world
LMWDP #115

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Thanks for the reminder! Since the original thread went idle for over a year, it's fair to start a new one rather than reawaken a dormant one. I've moved this thread to Cafes and Get-togethers in recognition of the forum dedicated to such discussions.
Dan Kehn

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

Don't remember the name - a gas powered lever in a van at the Stockbridge Market, Edinburgh. Cool. There is also a Kees Van Der Westen 3-group lever at Artisan Roast in Edinburgh (thanks Knock!)
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

scythide

#7: Post by scythide »

For the OP, no picture but there's also a Kees Idrocompresso at Joe's Pro Shop on 21st between 6th and 7th.
LMWDP #361, Pharos #285

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

In San Jose, Barefoot Coffee has a three group Victoria Arduino lever at their roastery roll-up bar at 76 Sunol St in San Jose open limited hours with very limited parking.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

coelcanth (original poster)

#9: Post by coelcanth (original poster) »

scythide wrote:For the OP, no picture but there's also a Kees Idrocompresso at Joe's Pro Shop on 21st between 6th and 7th.
thanks for the tip,
I will be sure to stop by and grab a shot (and take a shot of the machine too)

my main desire was to get a list of machines in cities around the world to visit whenever and wherever I find myself..
the original thread linked above has some good spots too

forgot another machine I stumbled upon in Camden, ME
at
boynton-mckay food co.
30 main street

KnowGood

#10: Post by KnowGood »

coelcanth wrote: Victoria Arduino and ugly Gaggia at restaurant supply shops on the Bowery...
ABC really f23ked up a lot of Gaggia Tells and Oriones with all that gaudy bullsh!t. Thank god it can removed.
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251