"Third wave" roasteries in Oklahoma?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Bengland1

#1: Post by Bengland1 »

I'm traveling through Tulsa , Oklahoma City and Norman . Any suggestions?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Topeca! In Tulsa, I believe.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#3: Post by cimarronEric »

Elemental Coffee in OK City
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

JimH

#4: Post by JimH »

I second Elemental in OKC, it is my go to place when I run out of homeroasted coffee.

Clarity downtown has relatively recently started roasting their own (in a separate location) but I am ashamed to admit I haven't tried their new beans yet.

If your idea of third wave is grassy and astringent then Coffeeslingers is the place to go, but I haven't been there for a very long time.

Believe it or not, this is a fairly comprehensive list. My apologies to anyone I forgot.

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by rhtrevino »

Hands down the top two roasters in the state are Elemental in OKC and Topeca in Tulsa. Topeca is an SCA accredited training facility and their coffee director, Ian Picco, is involved in SCA curriculum development. Top notch stuff. You can find their coffee in branded shops and elsewhere in the Tulsa area.

Elemental is my pick if you're up for variety as they frequently have some unique SOEs on bar as well as some interesting coffee mocktails. If you can get some of their Hatchet blend as well, don't pass it up. One of the partners, Chris, is a member on HB.

There's not much in the way of specialty in the Norman area, where I live. However, a local Presbyterian church has an offshoot coffee ministry, Second Wind, near the OU campus that is a cool multi-roaster shop. It's nothing fancy, full of college kids, and sometimes hit or miss. But, it's donation based, staffed by volunteers, and I do enjoy a good capp from there from time to time.

Nate42

#6: Post by Nate42 »

Been a few years but I thought coffee slingers in OKC is pretty good. I didn't find it grassy and astringent at all but their espresso is on the bright side. Different tastes and such.