Tel Aviv, Jaffa, and Jerusalem

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Mar 14, 2019, 1:57 pm

Headed out on Mar 21 on a pilgrimage but will have time for coffee and souqs. Two questions:

1. Anyone know of good shops in Tel Aviv/Jaffa and Jerusalem (Damascus Gate)?
2. Are they automatically going to put sugar in the coffee in the Turkish coffee in the souqs? Have to figure out how to eliminate that step...(ah, google saved me " bidoon sukkar.")

Thanks in advance.
-----
LMWDP #339

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Mar 14, 2019, 4:52 pm

Any chance of connecting with Ram (of Coffee Tech)? He's in Tel Aviv. And I bet he's got a good scope of the land and coffee scene in general. He's also got a neat little museum of various coffee roasters and espresso machines. Several vintage roadsters too.

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » replying to TomC » Mar 14, 2019, 5:08 pm

Will be hard. I arrive on Friday and Shabbat starts at sundown, just as I arrive. Business opens again Sunday when
I am off to Jerusalem on a bus. I will be mostly bumming around on foot and Arab sheruts, looking for lentil soup, a squeeze of lemon juice, and some flat bread to soak up the Turkish coffee of the souq.

I will drop him an email. Good idea.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Mar 16, 2019, 2:03 pm

Fell into it. Roastery and shop. 3 min walk from the retreat center which I begin at near Jaffa.

Roaster is infatuated w/Bourbons. Gotta like the guy.

https://cafelix.co.il/product-category/ ... in-coffee/
https://cafelix.co.il/#branches
-----
LMWDP #339

YarivK

Postby YarivK » Mar 16, 2019, 2:26 pm

you Can also try Nahat which is on Disingov square are also very good. Be sure to ask for the lighter roasts as the local tast is towards darker roasts. Have fun.

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » replying to YarivK » Mar 16, 2019, 4:43 pm

Thanks, one bus 20 min north. Ideal.
-----
LMWDP #339

ilVecchio

Postby ilVecchio » Mar 17, 2019, 10:55 am

Dave,
I know the thing here is coffee, but don't miss out on some of the world's finest shawarma along with the fabulous pitas. We loved the scawarma joints.
Joel

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » replying to ilVecchio » Mar 17, 2019, 1:48 pm

Your suggestion is trustingly and safely bestowed on me, believe me. And bring on the hummus.
-----
LMWDP #339

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Mar 17, 2019, 2:13 pm

This week is Purim here. Sort of like Halloween. So expect lots of costumes. Especially around the Rothschild area.

The best Kebabs in Pita right now are at a place called Jasmino- on Allenby corner of Ahad Haam. There are good places as well in Hacarmel Market.

In Hacarmel market there is a meat place called M25. You can have better meat in the US, but try the Arais. Which is a pita with a kebab cooked inside. Supposedly a brides fast food - but good!

Nahat Cafe and Waycup coffee (yohanan hasandlar) are ex Cafelix partners. They are all good. An all use Ram Ivgi equipment.

Turkish coffee is more in the Mediterranean restaurants. I'd try Jerusalem or the Arab villages around Jerusalem (especially En Rafa.).

Enjoy your visit here.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Mar 17, 2019, 9:56 pm

AssafL wrote:...Turkish coffee is more in the Mediterranean restaurants. I'd try Jerusalem or the Arab villages around Jerusalem (especially En Rafa.).

Enjoy your visit here.

Will be up in Nazareth and Sea of Galilee for a few days as well and expect some Turkish coffee up in that region.
-----
LMWDP #339