Tel Aviv, Jaffa, and Jerusalem - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Boldjava

#11: Post by Boldjava » Mar 26, 2019, 2:33 pm

Headed out by bus this a.m. and our Palestinian driver was brewing some Turkish coffee underneath, in the luggage compartment. He has a small butane heater to brew with.
Great hospitality, horrid coffee.

-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#12: Post by Boldjava » Mar 26, 2019, 2:36 pm

As we walked along the street in Bethlehem, I noticed this shop and the delightful play on words.

-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#13: Post by Boldjava » Mar 26, 2019, 2:38 pm

Haven't had a good cup of coffee yet. Lots of instant or liquid prepared coffee and some poor attempts at espresso. I will keep looking.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#14: Post by Boldjava » Apr 06, 2019, 9:47 am

I was strolling through the market in Jerusalem this morning. Stopped and had a Turkish coffee from this gent. He was slammed.
He would do his Turkish outside the machine, just one boil. He had no time for three boils. Too many customers. He also would offer regular tea or mint tea.
The coffee was exceedingly thin, sharp, and nothing I would take you to enjoy.
The machine has a tea kettle on the top of it which the butane element heats.Image
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#15: Post by Boldjava » Apr 06, 2019, 9:59 am

I stopped in a shop which sells coffee by the pound. They had 4 large Ditting grinders. I looked and saw a grinder I had never seen before. It is made in Jordan.
I was very puzzled by it until the clerk showed me what it is used for. It is a grain grinder. I put up a pack of traveling tissues so you can see the size of this machine. It's huge.Image
-----
LMWDP #339

AssafL

#16: Post by AssafL » Apr 06, 2019, 10:25 am

I am amazed you didn't get cardamom coffee yet. That is the stuff of legends.

Take bad coffee. Put cardamom in - tastes like cardamom. That the coffee sucks no longer matters! No need for a Strada, refractometer, or even a cheap scale.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

AssafL

#17: Post by AssafL » Apr 06, 2019, 10:27 am

In Hebrew it is Hel (like "Hell").

Ask for "Caffe im hel. "
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.