Suggestions for cafes in Michigan with outstanding espresso?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
jesse

#1: Post by jesse »

My interest in coffee has always centered around filter, and while I've certainly had a couple of truly good shots of espresso (including a light-SO/ek shot), I'm long overdue for another experience.

Specifically looking for modern, properly developed, medium roasted single origin coffee, pulled at a shop with genuinely skilled baristas who take their craft seriously.

Ann Arbor/Metro Detroit area preferred, but all suggestions appreciated.

justymikey

#2: Post by justymikey »

Astro in cork town was my favoritein Detroit.

Comet in Ann Arbor was my other go to and where I learned to love espresso. There is also espresso bar in Ann Arbor, which also does a great job. I haven't been back I. A couple of years, but I am sure they are both what I remember.
LMWDP #372

jesse (original poster)

#3: Post by jesse (original poster) »

Astro and Comet are a couple of my favorites for filter coffee, so wouldn't be surprised if their espresso was the real-deal.

Will stop at Comet when I'm in A2 later this month.

new2espresso

#4: Post by new2espresso »

Madcap in grand rapids was pretty good, I stopped by there when I was in grand rapids a few years ago for a wedding.
Kind regards,
Karan

jcd

#5: Post by jcd »

My top cafe in Michigan is HIgher Grounds (up in Traverse City), but their beans seem to show up in a lot of places around the state. They're awesome.

In Ann Arbor, Comet was good, and I also liked the Mighty Good shop at the triangular corner of University and Washtenaw. But it's now turned into a Vertex Coffee which at least has the trappings of a place with good espresso...