Stellar espresso in Maui?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

I know where to get great shots on the Big Island but this will be our first trip to Maui. Anyone have any suggested must visit place or places?
Mike McGinness

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC replying to Compass Coffee »

I wasn't able to track any down over the 9 days I was there a few years ago.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

mauijer

#3: Post by mauijer »

I was there for 14 days in June-july 2016. Sadly I could find none. There is another thread about maui here, Hawaii Coffee Shop - Reviews
Based on this review I went to Wailuku Coffee Co which is near the airport but was quite disappointed at the time (no roast dates, dark roasted beans), tried a few others including Maui Coffee Roasters and MauiGrown coffee but found the kona beans to be rather boring this year. In several shops I committed an act I had almost forgotten: I had to add sugar or cream to my espressos... It didn't help. I also made espresso while I was there on my portaspresso system with Rosco Mini grinder, which typically favors high doses and gives phenomenal results at high brew ratios. This was not acceptable for the darker roasts I found on maui. However, when I returned home 2wks later the beans did seem to open up on a little when using my home setup and I recall getting one nice shot out of the remaining bag. Overall I gave up on the espresso scene in maui :( I do prefer third wave espresso, tho, so take my impressions with that consideration.

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

I'll be traveling with Aeropress and my coffees as usual. Only looking for place for shots not bags to purchase.
Mike McGinness

salcangeloso

#5: Post by salcangeloso »

Had exactly zero notable coffee trips last time I was on Maui (~2.5 years ago). Beautiful place with amazing food, but no great espresso stops. I'm not a fan of Kona coffee (seems more like a branding play than anything else to me) and the island didn't have any coffee shops that really got my attention (let along espresso).

If you are like me and can't make a trip with some coffee stops then I'd recommended going by:

https://www.badassmaui.com/

It's in a great location, right by the beach and right off the highway. Some food nearby as well. Didn't get espresso, but if I was looking for it, this would be the place I'd try first.
HG One / '85 Cremina / Thor 49mm tamper

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Jshot »

A little late to the luau but on Maui, the best is Honolulu Coffee Company. One in Wailea and the other in Paia (maybe a another in some resort). They roast their own and the baristas go though plenty of training. Highly recommended!!