Start a coffee shop with 3 coffees

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
nickthorpie

#1: Post by nickthorpie »

Hey all! So I run a little popup coffee shop just outside of Ottawa. I'm starting the process of implementing an aero press bar, with 3 aeropresses going. Along with that I'm planning on having a menu of 3-4 coffees I can brew on the spot.

This has me thinking though, if you were to start a coffee shop with 3-4 coffees, what would you try to present?
Currently my list is:

1. An espresso for milk based drinks: A hearty Colombian/Guatemalan. Probably would need a blend to achieve this, but I'd go for high acidity to cut through the milk, coupled with some well developed chocolate and nutty flavours, while being careful not to introduce too much caramelization(nobody wants a bitter latte)

2. A bright filter coffee. It'd definitely have to be an Ethiopian. Depending on availability, I'd blend two naturals that have that vibrant blueberry/strawberry vibe. Ideally one would have polarized exceptional body, and the other would carry an exceptional brightness.. Blending them would bring them back to that middle ground.

3. A good espresso for the enthusiast. Roasted to a robust medium, it would be nice to source a good well-rounded espresso that has exceptional orange or lemon (Probably would end up being sourced from Kenya)

Of course I'd probably have to throw in a decaf in there :|

What are your favourites that you'd start a shop with? Link to your favourite coffees you've had over the last little bit would help me out immensely on my journey!
Nick

Advertisement
Headala

#2: Post by Headala »

So you will use these coffees exclusively on Aeropress or do you also have an espresso machine?

What is the general clientele/demographics you are catering to? A business district is different than a university community

iroast

#3: Post by iroast »

Like Headala implied, you'll need to know your clientele. You'll probably need more than just coffee. Good pastries that are not overly sweet? Croissants (plan, chocolate, almond, pistachio, etc).

ryuemura

#4: Post by ryuemura »

Getting to know your clientele and targeted audience will help determine what kind of coffee to offer. I'm also in the process of starting my shop in the LA area, and want to offer 3-4 coffees in addition to espresso. More than likely, I will want to carry an Ethiopia, Colombia, Panama, and a Papua New Guinea. These offerings would change as they become available. Obviously, I'm always on the lookout for a quality Geisha and Sudan Rume. As for espresso, go with with you love, you'll be able to take pride in your product. Blends are very common and versatile for any size drink. Single origins fair better for smaller milk-based espresso drinks and on their own.

Kryptonicspb

#5: Post by Kryptonicspb »

offering a few different beans with different brewing techniques should work fine. It will matter more how you market them I think. Real espresso buffs will walk in and cut through the flair, but a lot of customers wamt to be "sold" something. So your aeropress bar is a cool idea.

Also, the pastries and other baked goods will actually be where you can make a ton of profit, if you bake them yourself; but Im sure youre factoring that in already.