South Florida specialty coffee shops - Page 18

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#171: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Luis, thanks for the feedback! I really do need to get back up to Mane before long. Re: Breezeblock, I already had them listed in the first post, but I've just updated that entry with the current website. Re: Abra, I tried a few samples loooooong ago and am due to revisit; I see their current "old world" coffee is from Laos?!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#172: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Just a quick update to note that All Day, in Miami, is on pause again. Unfortunately it sounds like this will be a longer pause.

Link to story for more info.: https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-com/r ... 57503.html

Also, Composition, in WPB, has reopened.

mathof

#173: Post by mathof »

My brother recently moved from Hawaii to Pompano Beach. Are there any coffee shops in his area that I can recommend to him? He is more familiar with pour-over (particularly Kona) than espresso.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#174: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Hi, Matt. Cool! I could be wrong, but I think he'll have to drive a little bit to get to somewhere good. I'd recommend MANE to the north (in Boca) or maybe Wells to the south (Ft. Lauderdale).

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#175: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Sadly, I have to report that Grind in Ft. Lauderdale is on indefinite pause with a location change planned if/when reopening happens down the line. Just confirmed via phone.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#176: Post by emradguy »

Oh, what a bummer! I loved visiting Grind whenever I was in town. :cry:
LMWDP #748

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#177: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Speaking of Grind Coffee Project, Wells Coffee has a soft opening going on today for their second location...in Grind's old spot in Tarpon River! See social media for details.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#178: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

A few updates to the main page:

1. Alex Coffee Roasters in Wynwood has been open for a few weeks. I haven't been down there yet. Anyone?

More info.: https://dailycoffeenews.com/2021/11/30/ ... and-miami/

2. Lady Baker in Pembroke Pines is now a Counter Culture shop! The croissants and breads here are truly worth the drive west to try regardless.

More info.: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainm ... story.html

objective1

#179: Post by objective1 »

so glad this thread is here.... :-)

in town in Ft Lauderdale for a cruise date today... found references to 'the grind project' and 'Wells' fired-up google maps and pointed to grind since it was first on the list and low and behold it's now Wells (which was second on the list :-) ) the internet wasn't a very friendly assistant in the process since i could find pages that referenced the grind project as still live, and in fact 'open' but low and behold...

Not really a huge fan of the 'number 9' but it was drinkable for sure,.... and knowing that i'd be out of range of anything that even met that description for a week, i upped for a second shot... i'd certainly leave this on the list as a place to visit again.

The personnel were VERY nice (and cute - i know not politically correct but well there ya have it)

my guess from the intro conversation i was having is that their clientele are newish to the 3rd and 4th wave coffee evolution (or at least the person helping me appeared to be)... we spent more time talking about roast level than I thought relevant, but i finally just shut up and ordered the number 9... :-) one of these days i'll learn

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#180: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

objective1 wrote:so glad this thread is here...
Glad you found the thread useful! Enjoy the cruise.

I just tweaked the descriptions for Grind and Wells in the main post to try to clarify that whole situation. I have no idea who Wells has working up front at their Tarpon River location (formerly Grind); the original location is where they roast, and that's where I usually go.

In other news, Composition Coffee in WPB has Tim Wendelboe as a guest roaster right now. Might be worth a trip for those in the area.