South Florida specialty coffee shops - Page 15

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#141: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Vice City has opened a second location inside a new food hall called The Citadel in Little River (Miami). More info. in this article: https://miami.eater.com/2019/2/18/18229 ... i-pictures

Also, here's a new Miami-based roaster, Abra: https://abracoffee.com/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#142: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Opening today: Circle House in Broward (serving Panther). I just googled the address, and they're like a block from Wells, so anyone visiting one can swing by the other with no trouble.

sarguelles

#143: Post by sarguelles »

Just visiting Miami and ran into this thread looking for something other than blue bottle.

I just tried Eternity and was pleasantly surprised given the amount of effort and technique the barista put into my espresso. This makes me think their coffee might be really good. Good chance I buy a bag to take back home and try it on my setup. Have any of you tried it with proper technique?

I went to panther (wynwood) yesterday and was not a fan of their espresso- not partial to lighter high acidity blends for espresso.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#144: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Added Café Grumpy in Miami (Coral Gables). Anyone been down to check it out?

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#145: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

A few quick updates...

- Switchbox, in Oakland Park (Broward), is under "new" management since 6/4. Brian & Mimi are out (boo), and another business partner or two who had been behind the scenes previously are now running the show with new baristas. I don't know all the details. The shop had closed unexpectedly on 5/19. Anyway, last I checked they had Relentless coffee for the pourover bar and Switchbox blends on espresso. Brian did come back to roast at least once after the reopening, but going forward I think someone else will be roasting. This was a bummer for me, personally, because the shop is close to where I teach and I knew the staff well. Will check back in more frequently in August once school starts back. Let's hope the coffee doesn't suffer.

- Grind Coffee Project, in Ft. Lauderdale (Broward), recently had Argyle on bar alongside Kuma for the first time I can remember (though I don't go often). Not sure if it's a regular thing now.

- Small Tea, in Coral Gables (Dade), still features Per'La, but when I stopped in a few weeks ago for a cortado after a poetry reading at a nearby book store the guy pulling the shot didn't seem comfortable. It wasn't a good drink.

- The Salty Donut (Dade) now has a S. Miami location right on US-1. They're still paying close attention to their coffee program at both locations, which is great.

Please let me know what else is up, y'all! TIA.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#146: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Heads up: Counter Culture's new Miami training center is opening this weekend, with events Fri. and Sat. for sure. I don't have the address handy, but they'll be announcing it soon, I believe. Here's a screen grab from an Instagram story with details:

edit: 7450 N. Miami Ave. in Little River.

cf

#147: Post by cf »

Thanks for keeping this thread updated. Whenever I'm in the area of these shops I will do my best to visit. I went to Lady and the Mug in Coral Springs a month ago and had an awesome cappuccino. Staff was very friendly and ambiance was nice. Real close to Big Bear Brewery where I went for dinner which I can also recommend.

crunchybean

#148: Post by crunchybean »

Wow great list! I'll check out some when I'm down.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#149: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

^^^ Carlos & Phil, thanks for chiming in!

The first post has been updated to reflect the fact that Mockingbird, in Miami, has changed its name to Breezeblock. It's still a Counter Culture shop.

Did anyone make it out to Art Basel? Willy's Specialty Coffee had a pop-up at the Alchemist. I think he was using La Colombe.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#150: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also added a Passenger shop in WPB called Composition Coffee to the main post. More details for the curious: https://dailycoffeenews.com/2019/12/03/ ... its-parts/