South Florida specialty coffee shops - Page 14

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#131: Post by emradguy »

It was the WPB location.
LMWDP #748

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#132: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

emradguy wrote:Today, on advice of my friend (and yours) Josh "jbviau", I dragged my family on yet another trek, to hit up Wells Coffee. Now that place is worth going to. I wasn't in the mood for straight 'spro, so I did get 2 cortados again, but both were very good. I chatted quite a bit about the coffee community and equipment with owner Brandon Wells, and his barista AJ. They were the kind of uber cool you like to meet in a cafe!
So glad you enjoyed Wells! Love that place--especially the great folks who run it.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#133: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Heads up in Dade County: Deco Coffee will officially open on Fri., 9/15. The shop represents "a partnership between Relentless' Daniel Paguaga and Threefold Cafe's Nick Sharp," according to what I've read (source). Looking forward to checking this place out. Did anyone make it to their soft opening last weekend?

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#134: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

cmin wrote:I had a hard time dialing in Switchbox for espresso at home...
^^^ Just a quick update to mention that I picked up a bag of 811 to use with my new Cafelat Robot lever at home, and it's giving me good shots (grinding with a Lido 3 hand grinder).

In other news, who's been to Mane Coffee in Boca? I need to add them to the main post and get up there. It's a multi-roaster shop run by Dan Karram (who, incidentally, used to work part-time at Switchbox).

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#135: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Added a Counter Culture shop, Mockingbird, in Miami, as well as House of Per'La in Coral Gables down there (where Cafe Curuba used to be). I'm heading to Mane in Boca tomorrow morning.

objective1

#136: Post by objective1 »

Since this thread is where i found the Orlando shops (Lineage and Downtown Credo) i thought i'd post s thumbs up for Lineage...

Maybe that's not so much of a question for those that are local, but being here on a short trip, Lineage is definitely worth seeking out. Great SO espresso (ethiopean and kenyan coffees) great 3rd wave espresso just nicely short of too acidic but sweet and clean cups... after 2 double shots i know ineed to stop, but it was truly difficult to not keep ordering up another

Pastries are also awesome... ;-) nice companions (breakfast bun and chocolate croissant)

Ethiopean has a nice flavor profile as the cup cools...

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#137: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Thanks, Rich. I still haven't been to Lineage.

Speaking of, the first FL Brewers Cup was hosted recently in Orlando by Deeply (been there?). Here's a brief Sprudge piece about it: https://sprudge.com/the-first-ever-flor ... 37751.html

By the way, Mane in Boca was awesome and should be considered a "must visit." I spent an hour there this past Fri. talking with Dan and two other baristas + enjoying 3 different Ritual coffees. They definitely seem to be putting in the necessary work to make sure all of their many offerings are prepared and served well. Probably my favorite coffee was a stellar Colombia microlot (El Guamo), brewed pourover-style on (IIRC) a white Curtis Seraphim, that's unfortunately running low and no longer available online anywhere. Anyway, thumbs up!

Headala

#138: Post by Headala »

Orlando new shops:

Deeply coffee is indeed a fantastic shop. They use a Kees and use it to its fullest, and utilize great beans. The two baristas I interacted with knew their stuff and appreciated our interactions. Have good waffles too.

Another shop opened this year, called Craft and Common. They also are first rate. And their baked goods are yummy.

Foxtail continues to expand into many areas of the city bringing their high-end hipster aesthetic and multiflavored coffee. The baristas are usually confused when I ask about arcane subjects such as "single origin espresso" or "preinfusion" on their cute Strada MP.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#139: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Happy almost 2019! Two quick things...

1) Sounds like Circle House is getting closer to opening in Broward. They'll be a Panther shop, and they'll have a drive-thru, among other things. More info. from a few months ago courtesy of Sprudge: https://sprudge.com/build-outs-of-summe ... 36277.html

2) A barista at Sabal Coffee told me recently that the Counter Culture training center in Miami should open in March, fwiw.

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#140: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Just heard that Blue Bottle is closing both of its Miami locations at the end of March: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/restauran ... s-11078925