Single-Origin Roasters in Shanghai

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
DavidMLewis

#1: Post by DavidMLewis »

I was recently in Shanghai, and stayed at the URBN hotel. By happy accident, just down the street was a cafe called Single Origin Roasters, at Jiaozhou Lu 151. They clearly had a clientele that allowed them to offer coffees we no longer see in the US: things like a natural gesha sourced from 90 Plus that cost about US$13 for a pour-over that was around 250 ml. The more normal coffees on the list were about half that. But I was extremely impressed not only with the taste of the coffee, but with the care given both to it and to me as a customer. When I first tried to order the aforementioned gesha, for instance, the barista worked across the language barrier (my Mandarin is effectively nonexistent) to explain that it had been roasted the day before and was too fresh, and that I should have one of the other coffees on the list and come back in a couple of days for the gesha. I did go back, several times, and was impressed each time. Highly recommended if you're in the area.

Best,
David