Shout out to favorite San Diego cafe - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
smite

#11: Post by smite »

My favorite by far was Zumbar that place is the real deal. Best shots by far after trying just about every other place available at the time.

jevenator

#12: Post by jevenator »

Zumbar is very traditional and imo I think something changed over the years that I kind of don't like. I recently tried their hummingbird blend at home and it was off... Better options exist.

astralbean

#13: Post by astralbean »

Adding on to the Bird Rock love, I don't like in the area but have visited a few times. Great coffee and they offer a lot of interesting roasts.

bluesman

#14: Post by bluesman »

Our last trip before Covid hit was to San Diego. Our hotel was a block from the West Bean shop at 240 Broadway, so we tried it the afternoon we arrived and were very happy with the espresso and whatever brewed medium roast my wife ordered. So we started each day there with no regrets at all.

lessthanjoey

#15: Post by lessthanjoey »

smite wrote:My favorite by far was Zumbar that place is the real deal. Best shots by far after trying just about every other place available at the time.
I've heard people like this and it's close to my office (when I went in that is!) so I tried it maybe 3 times? Always burnt and disappointing :(

DonCon

#16: Post by DonCon »

Thanks for the tips on San Diego. Just recently moved to the area, and we landed in the Little Italy area of downtown. So far, Portal Coffee off of Pacific Highway has my favorite espresso.

Looking forward to trying the collective recommendations as we explore the area.

smite

#17: Post by smite »

lessthanjoey wrote:I've heard people like this and it's close to my office (when I went in that is!) so I tried it maybe 3 times? Always burnt and disappointing :(
That is shocking and too bad, I will admit this was about 3 or 4 years ago when I spent a few weeks trying many high rated cafes in the area with another espresso fanatic and back then by far Zumbar was the best every time.

So perhaps they changed things or its a different owner but many of the other places we tried back then couldn't compare.

bluesman

#18: Post by bluesman »

DonCon wrote:Thanks for the tips on San Diego. Just recently moved to the area, and we landed in the Little Italy area of downtown.
We enjoyed a few shots and snacks at Lofty in Little Italy too - if you haven't tried it, it's worth a look.

eltakeiteasy

#19: Post by eltakeiteasy »

All the ones mentioned are good but I would also add: Pop Pie the owner is really cool and great about dialing shots (serves Onyx) Seven Seas Roasting (in-house roasting really good IMO) tell both that Ryan sent you, Communal Coffee (I like the South Park location best), Grant's Coffee (South Park) they also use a Bellwether like House of Black.
LMWDP #672.

Chert

#20: Post by Chert »

A co-worker mentioned his favorite is Mostra when he is home in San Diego.
LMWDP #198