Seattle Leverfest and Tour of Kent Bakke Collection, January 13!

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hello Seattle Neighbors,

Updated Update 1/14/18: Thank you Kent Bakke, John Blackwell, Josh and Dave from La Marzocco for the most amazing Home-Barista event so far. We were welcomed into La Marzocco USA headquarters and given the opportunity to try LM's amazing Leva machine. But this became even more of a dream event when Kent Bakke and John Blackwell dropped in. For anyone who doesn't know, Kent is La Marzocco's CEO. John is one of Kent's fellow leaders of La Marzocco who has headed its engineering efforts, and although he's stepped back from management he remains involved. Kent may also be the top collector of vintage espresso machines and coffeemakers in the US, and he graciously allowed us to view his collection in storage. I have split off our tour of the collection to the Levers forum.

Tour of Kent Bakke Collection at Seattle Leverfest January 13, 2018

Update: 1/4/18: Exciting news! Are you ready for the Leva? I've just gotten off the phone with Joshua Littlefield of La Marzocco. LM will graciously host our gathering on 1/13, starting 10:30 a.m. and ending about 2:30 p.m. We will have the opportunity to try LM's revolutionary new Leva commercial espresso machine and will do blind tasting from that machine, a GS/3 and a LM Mini, as well as any gear we bring with us (yes your levers, coffee gear and favorite roasts are welcome!). The location is 1553 NW Ballard Way, Seattle, WA 98107.

Photo courtesy of La Marzocco USA

Photo of Tortorelli and Eureka to its right with permission of Kent Bakke

I'm writing to gauge interest and have you suggest a venue for a lever machine get-together 1/13. I'll be in town that day and would enjoy such a gathering. I'd prefer this format instead of a coffee crawl. Anyone interested?

People who plan to attend, other than me:
grog
roadman
JavaMD
tekomino
rittem1
perfectwheels
Zanderfy
dsblv
mivanitsky
Danetrainer
visco
plindy

From LM: Joshua, Dave

Please feel free to bring snacks and goodies, including home roasts. If I have time I may bring a batch of biscotti, and home roast of course. GS

I'm still trying to arrange a location and have some queries in the works -- a bit challenging with Christmas approaching.

I'm will probably bring a 1964 La Pavoni Europiccola and a Flair.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by FotonDrv »

drgary wrote:Hello Seattle Neighbors,

I'm writing to gauge interest and have you suggest a venue for a lever machine get-together 1/13. I'll be in town that day and would enjoy such a gathering. I'd prefer this format instead of a coffee crawl. Anyone interested?
Interested but unable. Have fun you all!

Stephen
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

RyanP

#3: Post by RyanP »

Interested, can't commit just yet. But if I can make it I'll bring my Strietman with me. Thanks for invite!

g3dahl

#4: Post by g3dahl »

Definitely interested, and the timing would be perfect. I hope it works out!

Gary Dahl
LMWDP #569. Long live lever lovers!

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JavaMD »

Working that Saturday am .. could join for the afternoon or try to switch out of call ..
will work on that option ... sounds like fun.

Steve

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JavaMD »

Switched call so up for anything .. count me in .

Steve

g3dahl

#7: Post by g3dahl »

Darn, I just got notified today of a mandatory training session that day. Sorry!

Gary Dahl
LMWDP #569. Long live lever lovers!

grog

#8: Post by grog »

I'm in. Depending on where we end up, I may bring my Olympia Club. I'm up for bringing other levers too. Hoping someone has a Monolith (either one) to bring along!
LMWDP #514

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to grog »

I'd love to see the Club, and your second wish will be granted when Denis Basaric joins us and brings at least one of his grinders! :D
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rittem1

#10: Post by rittem1 »

I think that sounds like fun. It'd be cool to have something at Caffe Lusso. They're expanding currently so it may not work out but they're taking over the space next to them and it's much more spacious than their current digs. I've got a Pharos, who doesn't, I can bring, and a fair amount of beans in the deep freezer.
LMWDP #517