SCAA 2016 Atlanta - Worth Going for a Hobbyist?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
JK

#1: Post by JK »

SCAA 2016 Event is in Atlanta in March...
Is it worth going for a hobbyist like me?

http://www.scaaevent.org/
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

In the blog section of my website I have reviews of a number of the Expositions from years past. It is a TON of coffee eye-candy. But mainly it is for the industry so don't expect people behind tables to spend much time with you. There are also numerous educational opportunities, but again, these are aimed at pros and few are free and fewer are inexpensive.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JK (original poster)

#3: Post by JK (original poster) »

I see they have Roasting and Barista Championship..
Can you view these and how close can you get?
I seen some videos online and it looked like you might as well be eating your lunch there since you were seated so far away..
Steve and Dave from Mill City has a booth I seen so it might be nice to met them..

ANYONE ELSE GOING TO ATLANTA?
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Bodka Coffee

#4: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I'm planning to go

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Viewing the Barista Comp is encouraged, and often you can try the coffees that some of the competitors are using at a special coffee bar. Not sure the roasting comp is open to an audience.

I've been a couple of times and there are a few consumer friendly exhibitors like Orphan Espresso for hand grinders, Cafelat for espresso accessories, Behmor for brewers and roasters, La Marzocco @home and Acaia, Mill City Roasters, and several others, but you'd probably be able to get done what you wanted to see in a day including checking out the comps. I think you can get in to see just the comps for a discounted price.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

Bodka Coffee wrote:I'm planning to go
Ah, we meet! See you at our booth or on the floor.
-----
LMWDP #339

Bodka Coffee

#7: Post by Bodka Coffee »

For sure! Plan on visiting you guys in Minneapolis this summer, also.

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

JK wrote:SCAA 2016 Event is in Atlanta in March...
Is it worth going for a hobbyist like me?

http://www.scaaevent.org/
Yes! Take EVERY workshop you can, attend every lecture interesting to you. There will be AMPLE time to swill copious amounts of coffee. I guarantee your eyes will be popping out of your head, both from the coffee , and amazing, never ending array of gear, edibles, and interesting people.
I will be there this year, Gd willing..as it's a hop skip and jump from Nashville. My last time was ALSO in Hot-Lanta.

day

#9: Post by day »

I will be there at least for the comp and bar, most likely for the floor and hoping to catch a class or two if possible.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

johnny4lsu

#10: Post by johnny4lsu »

Was planning to go but realized I'll be at a different conference in Louisville during the same time. So frustrating.