SCAA 2013 Reports - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

Does Kees have a booth at the trade show displaying the new Spirit?
LMWDP 267

Sherman (original poster)

#12: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

Yes, I'll be visiting Kees' booth today and shall return with a report.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

#13: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

Coffee Rust is a disease caused by the Hemliea Vastatrix fungus that attacks coffee trees, including arabica, robusta and liberia varietals.

Rust affects current crop by limiting the plant's ability to produce food, and affects future crop by limiting the plant's ability to produce new stems. The fungus primarily attacks the leaves; as spores spread across the leaf, the tree sheds the diseased leaf. This defoliation causes carbohydrate starvation, which leads to premature ripening of berries that produces poorer quality beans. The affected tree also responds by restricting growth of new stems, which degrades the following year's potential output.

The assembled panel consisted of dedicated actors within the specialty coffee industry, including Tim Schilling, CEO of World Coffee Research, Ruben Poveda, Manager of the Cooperative Union of North Multiple Services in Nicaragua, Romulo Echegaray, Agronomist at ACDI/VOCA in Peru and Peter Giuliano, Director of Symposium at SCAA.

The effects of coffee rust on the 2013 crop ranged from 30 to 50% loss in various growing regions in Peru, Nicaragua and Guatemala. Forecasts for the 2014 crop were potentially up to 80% for certain regions. The most immediate and effective form of mitigation continues to be fungicide but significant side effects, including increased soil toxicity in the case of copper-bearing fungicides. Research in coffee genetics and development of rust resistant cultivars are longer term solutions being investigated, but the immediate need persists.

Several anecdotes from growers and government agencies reflected a common theme of reactiveness and unpreparedness. Fortunately, government response has been positive; Guatemala released USD $13.7m in emergency aid to help farmers buy fungicides, Costa Rica allocated $4m, El Salvador and Honduras each pledged $3m.

The panel went on to discuss reactions at the grower level and encouraged greater cooperation within the industry to accelerate the pace of research in order to preserve the livelihood of producers.

Overall, the session was incredible in its depth and material, it was truly educational and worth additional research. I'll pursue this further with some greens buyers and grower reps (if they'll talk to me).
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

JmanEspresso

#14: Post by JmanEspresso »

Whew!

Single Group Slayer is just awesome to hear. Id buy it in a heartbeat, Ive always liked the Slayer and Ive followed their progress for a while now. Glad to hear a single group is becoming a reality. I would expect it to be in line with a 1group Hydra.. Circa 10K. Worth every penny.

So the new Baratza grinder.. That should allow those people who liked the Vario's grind, but not the build, own a vario. I mean the grind quality of the Vario is way above its price point. Im happy to see baratza bring out a higher end grinder. I look forward to what they do in the future, especially if they continue to work with Mahlkonig.

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

Friday April 12

Wet, Dry, or Vinified? New Frontiers in Coffee Bean Prep.

That magical hint of fruited perfume you found in that Kenya or Yrg one year, and never again? Could these flavors be in your coffee reliably, year in, year out? Emilio Lopez of El Salvador is trying to make that happen with his fermentation experiments.

Coffee is fermented in water tanks to remove the mucilage, i.e., the fruit that surrounds the coffee bean. Modifying the flavor is not the intent; but it does happen. If you remove the mucilage by drying the cherry in natural processing, the drawn out ferment adds more flavors; whereas if you scrape it off in a mechanical demucilager, you add no flavors at all. In each case the coffee tastes different. Coffee aficionados argue at length which of these methods is best or most legitimate; but none of us have much idea about what is actually happening to the bean at the enzymatic level.

Emilio, who has learnt wine making in Heardsburg, Napa Valley, points out that fermentation can do many things: it adds the alcohol to wine and beer; it adds the carbon dioxide and sour dough flavors to bread; finally, it adds the pungency to cheeses, cabbages and other fermented products. None of these flavors are welcome in coffee, and if they are present, the coffee is labelled as fermented. But fermentation also creates esters and other aromatics in wine and in coffee; it is these that make some bottles of wine worth hundreds of dollars. If they could be controlled to enhance the flavors native to coffee, it would add value to them as well. Emilio is experimenting with the fermentation vats used in wine making. These hold very little water, use circulating pumps, with exact water formulations and specific yeasts, precisely formulated and controlled. Fermentation times are extended to up to fifty hours (as compared to twelve for most wet processing) to fix the desirable flavors.

At the brewing cup, one competitor used an experimental coffee that Emilio had prepped. It was doen using wine yeasts, with the coffee cherry skin removed, i.e. like white wine. I need to follow up to bring more details of this story, and am trying to taste some samples for an extended report.

Pretty as a Picture: Latte Art Competition

This year, a demonstration US Latte Art championship is being run under the supervision of Krystal Burns of Palace Coffee.

The winner of the eventual SCAA sanctioned full version will go on to compete in the world championship. Krystal has been running latte art throwdown leagues in Canyon Texas and the surrounding region. In these leagues, the competitors' league standings go up and down in weekly competitions. The league topping baristas go on to regional championships. Regional winners go on to the nationals

The competition format gets more formal at each step. Jay Caragay,

who is judging, explained that at the national and international levels, competitors have to submit a photograph of the pour they intend, and then reproduce it precisely in two cups of equal size, and then, properly scaled, in cups of 6, 12 and 18 ounce sizes. The scores are then adjusted to reflect the figure's degree of difficulty.

Sunday baristas need not apply.

Some people, Mark Price most prominently, question whether highly refined latte art is a useful barista skill. The best pours require a coffee blended and roasted not for taste, but for dense crema; and in competitions the same coffee is used by all competitors. The milk is stretched not to achieve the highest sweetness and creamiest mouthfeel, but slightly less, to get to the best painting stage. Finally, it's a coffee competition where nobody ever tastes even a drop. In the end, it is a spin off that may have little to do with making great drink making; but it is the most audience friendly competition, and the Latte Art throwdowns draw a paying audience which is unique to coffee competitions.
Jim Schulman

Boldjava

#16: Post by Boldjava »

Sherman wrote:Coffee Rust is a disease caused by the Hemliea Vastatrix fungus that attacks coffee trees, including arabica, robusta and liberia varietals.

I would be curious to know if this is the same rust that wiped out India's coffee in the 1800's and drove them/British empire to become a tea nation?

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

Anvan

#17: Post by Anvan »

Kind of like the home-run derby at baseball's all-star game, the latte art competition is tangential to the real business at hand, but one failing to appreciate the skill and imagination on display would have to be curmudgeonly indeed.

HB
Admin

#18: Post by HB »

The main tracks of the SCAA conference are centered around lectures and skill building workshops. The barista workshops serve a wide range of skill needs from the rank beginner to those with more advanced skills. My first stop yesterday was the Grind, Dose, Tamp, Extract workshop:

It's a very hands-on workshop where a presenter describes the next lab and then assistants at a half-dozen stations walk students though the mechanics and taste appreciation the proposed change introduces. Many of the subjects, like varying dose to influence the taste profile, mirror what has been and continues to be discussed on this site every day:

I walked around the room, listening in on the instructor's comments. Overall, I agreed with everything I overheard, but was still a little surprised to hear observations like "Oh, that extraction was off because the tamp wasn't right." Some myths simply refuse to die. Quibbling aside, the instruction was clear and helpful. Tim Brisnehan from Filter Coffeehouse deftly covered the 3 ways of level dosing:

Marshall Fuss gave a helpful introductory presentation to potential legal pitfalls shop owners might face. When setting up an LLC, it was refreshing to hear from a lawyer that a lawyer is not always required (though there are cases when one should; see your lawyer for guidance).

The Breville Dual Boiler has gained quite a few fans since its introduction; Phil Knight demonstrated the upcoming (nearly) fully automatic version. It has a built-in grinder, auto-frother turnable by temperature and air injection, and even a Swift-like auto-tamper. Phil was serving a good cappuccino made with Intelligentsia Black Cat Analog. While it wouldn't win a WBC competition, it was better than its main competitor, the Nespresso capsule system.

Our next stop was the Baratza booth to see the new Forte grinder. It's a commercial-grade variant of the Vario. No plastic parts, 50% duty cycle, and nifty hopper closure (not shown). We spoke with Kyle, who explained that brew bars were pressing Varios into service and were clamoring for a tougher grinder with the same qualities. The Forte is his answer.

Prima Coffee has developed an interesting ergonomic tamper that helps avoid repetitive stress injuries. It does this by encouraging a more natural grip and lighter tamp with finger pressure - gorilla tamp lovers need not apply! It has feel of solid craftsmanship and an adjustable smooth walnut handle.

The next photo is a teaser for Sherman's fuller coverage of the Spirit espresso machine by Kees van der Westen. Look for his much better photos, probably posted tomorrow afternoon.

The booth at Counter Culture Coffee was 2-3 people deep every time I visited. They featured espresso, pourover, and a modular brew bar called modbar mentioned earlier in this thread.

Another teaser photo, this time of the Slayer espresso machine. Jason Prefontaine spent much of the last 30 minutes before the showroom closing explaining the design and benefits of its design. I'll return to this conversation in a later report update.

Dan Kehn

Intrepid510

#19: Post by Intrepid510 »

I really like that under cabinet espresso machine, really allows for barista/customer interaction. However, it may be a sore point for a few baristas.

Anyway really like the coverage guys keep it up! Thank you.

#20: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:I would be curious to know if this is the same rust that wiped out India's coffee in the 1800's and drove them/British empire to become a tea nation?

B|Java
Yes, one and the same.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288