Royal Coffee Lab & Tasting Room

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

I got an email today that The Crown, Royal Coffee's Lab and Tasting Room, is now open at 2523 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612. Hours are M-F 9-6.

It would be nice to check this new facility out sometime.

They also have some upcoming coffee courses:
Designed to improve the skills of more experienced coffee tasters, Advanced Sensory Exercises is a tasting lesson-focused training taught by Chris Kornman on March 13th, 2019

Intro to Roasting is comprehensive introduction to the craft of roasting taught over the course of 2-days by Jen Apodaca on March 19th, 2019

Up your roasting game at the Advanced Roasting course taught by Jen Apodaca on April 3rd, 2019
Disclosure: Other than buying a box of Crown Jewels green coffee in the past at full price and dropping into their location in Seattle during an SCAA Expo event, I have no relationship with Royal Coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jofari

#2: Post by Jofari »

This looks like an interesting place. I was just reading this article about it on our local newsite. I'll have to check it out sometime.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Professor William Ristenpart from the Department of Chemical Engineering at UC Davis will be giving a talk this Friday night on understanding extraction and it's sensory impacts at the Royal Coffee Lab & Tasting Room. More info here.

I wish I could make it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

EddyQ

#4: Post by EddyQ »

He has a lecture at the Boston Expo on Friday morning as well.
LMWDP #671

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Some interesting classes and events in May: https://royalcoffee.com/upcoming-classes-events-in-may/
  • Empowering producers with World Coffee Research / May 2nd
  • Intro to Roasting / May 8-9
  • Intro to CoE: Focus on Colombia / May 10th
  • Blending Workshop / May 16-17
  • Sig Drink Development Workshop / May 22nd
  • Why Vietnam Matters / May 22nd
  • Visual & Sensory Defects / May 30th
The blending and defect sessions sound good, might try and make it to the latter if I can take the time off work.

Disclosure: I have no financial interest in Royal Coffee other than as a customer purchasing green coffee at full price.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272