Roaster's café versus their clients' cafés - Page 5

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.

Which is better: Roaster's cafe or their best client's cafe?

Roaster's cafe is better
81%
Client's cafe is better
6%
They're about the same
13%

Total votes: 31

zin1953 (original poster)

#41: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

pdx wrote:I think you'd find that Stumptown is consistently better than Vivace, and certainly better than Peet's.
To be clear, I'm not putting Peet's in the same category as Vivace, merely as a very busy place that achieves consistency. I would certainly expect Stumptown to be better that Peet's. Its inclusion in my post has to do only with the consistency of their drinks.

Also, please note that I pointedly mentioned "the cappuccinos at Peet's." I don't do espresso there . . . :wink:
pdx wrote:Do they not tell you when they were roasted? I know Stumptown accounts always know the roast date, and their retail bags are always date-stamped.
The café that resells Flying Goat Coffee bags it up there from the large mylar bags. I have no idea when the coffee was roasted, nor when the mylar bag was opened -- only that it was "scooped" the moment I bought it. :twisted:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

zin1953 (original poster)

#42: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:But I would want a great deal more information than was posted here before questioning the "quality and dedication" of a shop of Stumptown's repute.
OK, I'll grant you that, but then I (as with most others, it would seem) expect (rightly or wrongly) that the roaster's own café would be the best place to get that roaster's coffee -- so to hear that not just one but three places are "consistently better" is an unexpected surprise to me . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

pdx

#43: Post by pdx »

zin1953 wrote:so to hear that not just one but three places are "consistently better" is an unexpected surprise to me . . .
I don't think it should be a surprise. Like I said, its how much attention each specific person pays. If you have a staff of 6 that's easier to accomplish than if you have a staff of 50.
Ben King.

Psyd

#44: Post by Psyd »

zin1953 wrote:The café that resells Flying Goat Coffee bags it up there from the large mylar bags. I have no idea when the coffee was roasted, nor when the mylar bag was opened -- only that it was "scooped" the moment I bought it. :twisted:
The person that is scooping it is standing right next to the bag with the roast date on it. Next time, ask. The kids at the local roaster where I get my beans are getting used to me asking for the roast date, and if there is a more recent roast than the one they are scooping from, they'll open it. Odd, though, that they still ask me if I want whole bean. I've never wanted anything else...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

RegulatorJohnson

#45: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

my cafe, bevalo falls into category three.

we proudly brew barefoot coffee we were trained by barefoot coffee roasters.

it is just my wife and me behind the bar. we have pride in our business and every cup we make.

from time to time someone who has been to the barefoot cafe comes in. Al sterling came in one day and we talked for a bit, he is on home barista right now probably. i hope his SARS has been cured by now.
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

malachi

#46: Post by malachi »

zin1953 wrote:OK, I'll grant you that, but then I (as with most others, it would seem) expect (rightly or wrongly) that the roaster's own café would be the best place to get that roaster's coffee -- so to hear that not just one but three places are "consistently better" is an unexpected surprise to me . . .
We have one person who has said that two of the three are consistently better. We have one who says that he's "not been there, but his friends say" one of the three is consistently better. We have others who say there are three places where you can potentially get shots as good as if not better.

This is hardly a "surprise" IMHO. And it's something that you'd probably find the folks at Stumptown incredibly proud of. Having accounts that are pushing your own cafes on quality is a sign that you are doing something REALLY right.
"Taste is the only morality." -- John Ruskin

Stanner

#47: Post by Stanner »

shadowfax wrote:This is my experience. Both of the major roasters here in Houston, Cuvée Coffee and Hopson Coffee, lack a café sort of storefront, and only roast for online orders and commercial (shop) orders. Now, Cuvée has a cupping/espresso lab, and Clancy Rose (SCRBC Champ this year) pulls a shot that's pretty much to die for there (for free, at that...). Out of this world cappuccinos, too. In my visits to their primary client, Caffé Medici, in Austin, I rarely get anything that really comes close to what he makes. It's really amazing, to me, the difference that there is between a top-tier barista and a good one.

My experience (which is super-limited) is that trying to meaningfully compare roasters and their clients is an impossible task. Assuming that the roaster and client café each have high-quality setups (and the good ones do), the 'thing' that makes the difference is the barista. Here in Texas, even the best shops have 2 classes of baristas: the ones for whom it's just a job, and the ones for whom it's also a passion. I imagine that at the very best shops on the west coast, you can find shops that have only the latter type of barista, but here we're not so lucky, and that factor (who the barista is) determines whether I go into a shop and get a cup that I can drink pleasantly and a cup that is so delightful that I have to have another.
I think I'll have to visit Cuvee's main facility and get a taste; I've had shots and cappas from the 2nd and 3rd place baristas from this year's SCRBC and they're consistently amazing. They have an intense passion but I do agree some are there (Medici) to just pull shots.

EricL

#48: Post by EricL »

At least locally, Vivace locations are consistently better than any of the local cafe's using Vivace. But when you've got David Schomer looking over your shoulder...
The closest cafe here uses only the Vita blend. I've stopped going in the afternoon after watching the overwhelmed barista tamping at a 15 deg angle, leveling grounds back into the doser, and other bad habits.

I'm making a trip to the Stumptown Roastery location in Seattle on Friday. The l had a local cafe that served stumptown and did an outstanding job. The owner was there most of the time and really pressed on quality control, and the stumptown guys who delivered also did checks on the equipment, did demos, etc.