Requesting a tip for passing through Portland, OR - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
cgibsong002

#11: Post by cgibsong002 »

Old topic i know, but proud Mary is an absolute must. Place is just crazy.

And you won't find it on any of the regular lists, but if you're in the area, go to Lionheart. Just people that truly love coffee. Their original location in South Beaverton they don't have a menu and will just do whatever you want. They have about 6 or 7 pourover methods that they'll use. Their new shop in downtown Beaverton is more mainstream but super nice. Clearly put together by a barista that likes their gear. Both of these are my regulars and proud Mary when looking for something a little extra.

Also, when people talk about heart, coava, etc... Their coffee is insanely good, but the cafe itself is ok. I'd stop for a bag and hit up another place for a drink instead.

Andy

#12: Post by Andy »

keno wrote:There is a Compass Coffee in Portland (funnily enough it is on Vancouver Ave which is in Portland).
Of course, and a classy shop it is! I forgot to mention it because I usually go to the roastery shop in Vancouver.

cccpu

#13: Post by cccpu »

Is Dapper & Wise any good? Their Instagram/YouTube videos are some of the best I've ever seen.
LMWDP #583

cgibsong002

#14: Post by cgibsong002 » replying to cccpu »

I'd love to know the same. They're on my list to check out.

chipman

#15: Post by chipman »

Isn't the owner of Compass Coffee a long time member here? Even before opening his businesses?

Chert
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Chert »

cccpu wrote:Is Dapper & Wise any good? Their Instagram/YouTube videos are some of the best I've ever seen.
cgibsong002 wrote:I'd love to know the same. They're on my list to check out.
Yes. I stopped in once and since there are so many great shops in Portland, I have to be extremely impressed to return. All the shops listed on this thread are worth a visit. Thanks for the tip about the videos.
LMWDP #198

GeoffPDX

#17: Post by GeoffPDX »

Dapper and Wise employees are super nice. I like that place. And their Instagram videos are excellent.

Compass: yeah, Compass was my go-to roaster for a long time due to his generous discount for HB members. Their location on Vancouver Ave is great.

keno

#18: Post by keno »

chipman wrote:Isn't the owner of Compass Coffee a long time member here? Even before opening his businesses?
Yes, Mike McGuinness is the owner and an HB member who now goes under the username Compass Coffee. Here is a thread on the launch of the location in Vancouver.
Compass Coffee new location progress report

Chert
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Chert »

Any other updates on the Portland scene?

I will pass through this week. I guess I'll see Never or Case Study since I've been to neither.

On-line, I see I can buy a drink and a bag at Heart so I may just do that. I expect most cafe's like Proud Mary and Heart are just walk ups for public health reasons.
LMWDP #198

Chert
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Chert »

Odd to the name, Never had the best hours for the itinerant coffee fan. And their signature drinks both intriguing and delicious iced.

Strange also, the only bag of coffee I can ever remember losing before I ever opened it is Les Fauves, the Colombia washed Guatemalan natural process I bought at Never Coffee. I hope our friends we visited find and enjoy the bag and the "prize inside."

:?:
LMWDP #198