Oakland, CA Get Together for Decent People - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
TenLayers (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by TenLayers (original poster) »

I'm looking forward to tasting the Ground Control myself.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster »

I finally made it out to Chromatic Coffee to try out some coffee brewed on the Voga Ground Control® Cyclops™ batch brewer, necessitated by running out of roasted coffee at home. As one of the first customers there this morning, they were still brewing the first batch of coffee, their Kunjin Papua New Guinea, which I had also just purchased as whole bean for my coffee needs at home. The coffee was very good, with bright, clear flavors even when served in a paper cup (likely a COVID-19 precaution) and I'm sad to say that the pot I just brewed at home tastes muted when compared to the cup from the shop, though it's still good coffee.

I didn't get to taste the different segments of the brew like Tom in his review linked below or learn about the profile that they were using, but I really enjoyed the coffee.

Ground Control Cyclops

Heard back from the Chief Coffee Officer at Chromatic on Instagram that he brews that coffee at 204°F so I'll bump it up tomorrow from the 200 setting I used today. Roast date is 3/9.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

sosha
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by sosha »

Looks like I'm going to make it after all (thank you COVID-19).

Very excited to see the Decent machines! Let me know what I can bring.

Is there any interest in seeing a Cormorant roaster? If so, I can pop it into the back of the car.

Patty
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

matthewlese

#14: Post by matthewlese »

Thanks a lot for putting this on. I'm going to try to come by and check out the Ground Control brewer!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

Tried it at 204°F then at 206°F in my BraZen after I made a single pour-over with fresh off the boil water without baking soda added; it was better but I still think the ground control cup was much better. I'm impressed with the results from the Ground Control Cyclops, too bad it won't fit under the cupboards.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by TenLayers (original poster) »

Is there any interest in seeing a Cormorant roaster? If so, I can pop it into the back of the car.

I'd like to see it. Pop it in the back.

Shenrei

#17: Post by Shenrei »

Looks like with the Shelter order in place, this is not going to happen is it?
- Tim

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

Might be too soon for a gathering of this sort.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Supporter ♡

#19: Post by TenLayers (original poster) »

Well, let's consider this officially postponed until it's once again permissible to join in communion of taking the Rubiaceae into our mouths together.
I'll email all of those who reached out to me separately.

doubleOsoul

#20: Post by doubleOsoul »

Keep me in the loop too :)