Met WBC Champ Berg Wu Today

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Derekb

#1: Post by Derekb »

I visited Simple Kaffa today in Taipei today. This is Berg Wu's (2016 WBC CHAMP!) shop. He was in but had only a minute to pose with me for a photo. I of course babbled excitedly the entire time my son was taking photos. So I don't look my usual fantastic photogenic self.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

How was the coffee? :o
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Awesome Derek! I didn't know you are back in our hemisphere. Stopping by here?
LMWDP #371

Derekb (original poster)

#4: Post by Derekb (original poster) »

I knew someone would ask 8)
I was there two days. I had their "1+1" both days. Espresso then cappuccino. I'm pretty sure both were singles and assume they split a double shot. It was good but not remarkable. And the service was very slow and a bit disorganized. But the baked goods, all made in-house, were very, very good.
They used a LM two group machine, didn't catch which one. Also a Mahlkonig EK43 and LM Swift grinder.

SlowRain

#5: Post by SlowRain »

Berg Wu does do his own roasting, but apparently he had someone else do the roasting for the WBC. I don't know if I'm at liberty to say who. Just be aware that the espresso in his shop may not be exactly what won the competition, unless he's specifically using it in the interim.

Derekb (original poster)

#6: Post by Derekb (original poster) »

I watched most of the YouTube final round of Berg and I think he said he was serving a Geisha for at least one or two of the courses.
This was not what was served at Simple Kaffa. I don't think I have ever seen that bean being served for espresso at any shop. Too expensive.
Now at my house, however, there have been a shot or 20 of geisha pulled......! Ok, PUSHED! As I push the paddle from right to left then back again :wink:

cafekanji

#7: Post by cafekanji »

In 2016 WBC day1, should Wu worry about his live interview make himself the first no.1 liar ever?
Maybe we should all visit Berg Wu and his friend's "...3 coffee shops ...", asking for a water leaking geisha espresso made signature as he did in 2016 WBC semifinals...

Seriously, I did not see the live-scoring "alive" since WBC2016 day 2. Anyone knows what's behind?

PS.The roaster behind, seems to claim that on his FB. This guy, seems to be the same one who win T.W. for 1 point after calling for re-score in NRC, what a shame if a roaster use government's power to make re-score happened ?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

cafekanji wrote: PS.The roaster behind, seems to claim that on his FB. This guy, seems to be the same one who win T.W. for 1 point after calling for re-score in NRC, what a shame if a roaster use government's power to make re-score happened ?
Undoubtedly there is another side to this story, it would be informative to hear from another contestant who was there.

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

cafekanji wrote:In 2016 WBC day1, should Wu worry about his live interview make himself the first no.1 liar ever?
Maybe we should all visit Berg Wu and his friend's "...3 coffee shops ...", asking for a water leaking geisha espresso made signature as he did in 2016 WBC semifinals...

Seriously, I did not see the live-scoring "alive" since WBC2016 day 2. Anyone knows what's behind?

PS.The roaster behind, seems to claim that on his FB. This guy, seems to be the same one who win T.W. for 1 point after calling for re-score in NRC, what a shame if a roaster use government's power to make re-score happened ?

As long as the information shared is done in accordance with this site's guidelines. Innuendo about someone possibly being a "liar" wouldn't be. If you have factual information to share, then by all means. But please refrain from using this forum to trash someone else, if it's solely based on opinion or speculation.

Thanks
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

chang00

#10: Post by chang00 »

I should be clearer; I see how miscommunications can occur online. If I can edit my previous post that would be helpful. The original scoring at Nordic Barista Cup was mis-calculated due to arithmetic. When the error was found, it was corrected the next day and Fika Fika got the deserved championship. Fika Fika was the true champion in 2013 and there should be no doubt.

What I meant to say was, someone messed up the scoring originally and Fika Fika was the champion all along.

Fika Fika's James Chen roasted the Panama Finca Deborah washed geisha for Berg Wu for the competition.