Manhattan Cafe Recommendations

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
JamesB517

#1: Post by JamesB517 »

Hi there! I will be visiting Manhattan, NYC in a few weeks and was wondering for a few recommendations. I am looking for places with very good straight espresso, as well as some fun single origin pour-overs. Some fun, bright, interestingly processed ones would be nice. I also would like to find a roaster where I can get good, preferably SO, beans to take back home. Additionally, if there are any cafes in other boroughs that are so good they're worth the trek, I'd appreciate that too.

Best, James
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by LBIespresso »

I'll list a few off the top of my head...

Abraço - get a shot, a pour over, and a slice of olive cake. Sit down and close your eyes, you will know you are in a legit, old school coffee shop that knows its lane. No nut milk, no splenda, just coffee and if you want good old fashioned cow's milk and sugar. Please go.

Same neighborhood but very different vibe - La Cabra. Read the reviews and decide if you want to go or not.

Downtown - Suited. best I have had down that way

The Coffee Project - couple of locations rarely disappoints

Bear with me on this one - Outro - Counterculture shop. But they get it right and the food is top notch. Go for breakfast and get a milk drink.

I was recently at the Devocion on Grand in Williamsburg and it was better than I remembered. May be hit or miss but last time there was a hit.

There are so so many more options that will impress. Do a search on here if others don't respond.
LMWDP #580

NYFilter93

#3: Post by NYFilter93 »

Agree on Suited. Great selection of roasters and the only cafe in NY that does Filter 2.0 on the Decent.

I'd also recommend Black Fox.

Happy to recommend places in Brooklyn as well

JamesB517 (original poster)

#4: Post by JamesB517 (original poster) »

I appreciate this list! I will check these places out!
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

michael

#5: Post by michael »

Like la cabra, great coffee, pastry and bread 8)

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso »

NYFilter93 wrote:Agree on Suited. Great selection of roasters and the only cafe in NY that does Filter 2.0 on the Decent.
I was at Alita in Brooklyn a while back and they were doing Filter 2.0. I had espresso but the owner was talking up the Decent quite a bit. Great shop.
LMWDP #580

NYFilter93

#7: Post by NYFilter93 replying to LBIespresso »

I know Alita uses the decent for espresso. Didn't know they were using it for filter

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by LBIespresso replying to NYFilter93 »

I think I was there close to 2 years ago and he was talking about it. Not sure if he stayed with it but he was gung ho and served Regalia and was a Rao fan. So I would assume they still do.
LMWDP #580

NYFilter93

#9: Post by NYFilter93 »

I'm pretty sure Paolo, co-founder of Regalia, is also a part owner of Alita