Irish Coffee Nut heading to NYC

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
RE*AC*TOR

#1: Post by RE*AC*TOR »

Hey guys, impromptu trip to New York from Ireland planned for tomorrow (9 days in total). Normally I'd have planned this in advance, but now I'm a bit flustered and I need help in identifying those cafés / coffee shops / coffee equipment shops in New York that I shouldn't miss.
I'd also really like to take home some roasted beans (fresh please) to play with back in Ireland.

Hope this is the right forum for this. Apologies if not. Thanks.

aindfan

#2: Post by aindfan »

I'm happy to say that there is enough delicious coffee in NYC these days for about one cafe per day (I think). Here's a list off the top of my head with location and espresso used, respectively. For locations type the names into Google Maps or visit http://www.espressomap.com. This list is in no particular order. I think all of these places will sell you beans that are within a week of roasting, so you may want to try as many of the places as you can and go back to one to get their beans. A lot of people here REALLY seem to like the Gimme Leftist blend but I didn't have as much luck with it. A * indicates that I know there's a Clover there if you want to try it.

Ninth Street Espresso (In Chelsea and Alphabet City) (Stumptown Hairbender)
Gimme! Coffee (In Soho and Brooklyn) (Gimme Leftist) *
Everyman Espresso (Just south of Union Square) (Counter Culture Toscano, selling many other CCC beans as well)
Joe: The Art of Coffee (5 Manhattan locations) (Barrington Gold)
Cafe Grumpy (Chelsea and Brooklyn) (Their own Heartbreaker Espresso roasted by Novo and a guest espresso or SO that changes every so often) * (Usually about 4 SO's available on the Clover)
Blue Spoon (Financial District) (Intelligentsia Black Cat) - haven't been there but heard it's good
Mercury Dime (East Village) (Dallis Brothers) - haven't been there but heard it's good
El Beit (Brooklyn) (Counter Culture) * - haven't been there but heard it's good
Abraco (East Village) (Counter Culture) - haven't been there but heard it's good
Think Coffee (Lower East Side/Greenwich Village) (Porto Rico)

If you really want to see a roaster you may try calling Dallis Brothers Coffee in Queens, but I'm not sure how that would work out.

I hope others can comment and add to this list if I missed any, or if I recommended something that isn't up to H-B.com standards, let me know as well and I'll try to edit the list. Good luck and let us know how your coffee experience goes!
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

RE*AC*TOR (original poster)

#3: Post by RE*AC*TOR (original poster) »

Great reply! Thanks! Can't wait!

!!!

zin1953

#4: Post by zin1953 »

There are plenty of great bars that make Irish Coffee, but -- oh. Never mind. :wink:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.