Intelligentsia Pasadena

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
poison

#1: Post by poison »

I've been a fan of Intelly, particularly over other similar options like Blue Bottle, so when I was in Pasadena over the weekend and wanted coffee, I stopped in. It looked very different, like I stepped into a Blue Bottle store. I walked up, and ordered an espresso. As I waited, I noticed there were no espresso machines, only odd looking devices, and modbar looking things. I went to find a restroom, then walked back, and they handed me an espresso cup of.....

....not espresso. Zero crema, looked like Farmers Bros that sat on the Bunn Burner for 3 days, and tasted about like that as well. Full-on instant flavor, followed by some sh!t pungent acidity. Absolutely disgusting.

I have no idea who approved that. It was packed with people, so may be they know their target audience, but sweet lord it was awful, and I will never return.

Anyone else try that swill?

poison (original poster)

#2: Post by poison (original poster) »

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/03/23/ ... 9-15959845
Intelligentsia Coffee has rolled out a freeze-dried instant version of its signature Black Cat Espresso blend.

The instant Black Cat is also the star ingredient for drinks made by baristas at the company's new Illumination Bar inside its fully remodeled location in Pasadena, California.

The top-to-bottom remodel of the Old Pasadena location includes a new floor plan, paint, bar layout, lighting and more. The shop is also notable for what it does not include, which is a traditional espresso machine, as all espresso-style drinks are made with the instant base.

"The question was, if I were to make a shot of espresso for a true espresso drinker, what are they going to say to this? Do we even call it espresso?" Lori Haughey, Vice President of Retail at Intelligentsia Coffee, told Daily Coffee News. "There's the old argument that espresso is a form of brewing, but many people think espresso is, you know, what's in their cup."

The freeze-dried granulated Black Cat is produced for Intelligentsia by Swift Cup, the Lancaster, Pennsylvania-based specialty instant coffee manufacturer that has for years also provided the instant version of Intelligentsia's house blend.
Lol, what a crock of baloney. Just say you're serving upgraded instant, no need try to redefine what the word espresso means. I'll just say my 'double espresso' was awful.

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

You may be the first person ever who drank it as a straight "shot" ... I feel your pain, btw.

It would have been interesting to see if anyone else in the crowd there was ordering straight shots. An alternative explanation is that the instant was used only in milk drinks; and the shot you got was from a mostly unused and untuned machine.
Jim Schulman

bean2friends

#4: Post by bean2friends »

This reminds me of how I turned to home espresso. Some years ago I had learned to enjoy lattes from Starbucks or Gloria Jeans. Those places because they were all that was available to me. Then, suddenly I noticed I was getting my drink almost as soon as I had ordered it. "I don't understand how they can do that so quickly. Is it possible they've premade these?" I wondered. Close attention then after a couple of disappointing drinks, I understood. They only had super automatics and were often using pre-ground coffee. What to do. Well, now I mostly rely on myself and thus am not often disappointed. Home-Barista led me to higher grounds.

flyingtoaster

#5: Post by flyingtoaster »

Wow, I used to go to the Pasadena location until 2014 and the Venice location until 2018 and Intelligenstsia used old Italian machines at the time. Their espresso was fantastic and it was worth the 30-45 minute drive past my regular location, Klatch. I wonder when and why they changed.

jgood

#6: Post by jgood »

That is sad! Caffe Luxxe is still very good - mostly on the westside though.