In Search of Exceptional Espresso in Barcelona

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
DaveB

#1: Post by DaveB »

I'll be there next week, and I'm curious if anyone knows where I might find really good espresso. My girlfriend arrived there a couple days ago and said the best cappuccino she's had so far was at a "coffee shack" at the beach. Any suggestions are most welcome!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Nick Name

#2: Post by Nick Name »

It's been a while since I had coffee in Barcelona and I think their coffee scene has evolved since.
But I hope you'll find this link useful: https://europeancoffeetrip.com/great-ca ... barcelona/

MNate

#3: Post by MNate »

The BeanHunter app was great for our trip to France this year. Mainly Australians post reviews but they're quite reliable.

Thought about going to Spain too and my reading on H-B showed some discussion on the typical way they do their drinks and I think another good travel method may be to try what the locals do and see what you think. Worth it for the experience perhaps.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I asked a friend, but not a home-barista afaik, who lives in Barcelona now and he recommended:

Nømad Coffee Lab & Shop
Passatge Sert, 12, 08003 Barcelona
628 56 62 35

https://goo.gl/maps/P2zrPkrqJGq

Satan's Coffee Corner
Carrer de l'Arc de Sant Ramon del Call, 11, 08002 Barcelona
666 22 25 99

https://goo.gl/maps/Bp6dQxxEHbT2
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

summer

#5: Post by summer »

Onna Café/Onna Coffee serves a nice cup at Carrer de Santa Teresa 1.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

Caffe Saule shot I had in Barcelona at the taste of Catalan store off the Ramblas [aka La Cuina de Moja Las Ramblas 118] was very nice.
LMWDP #198

bmb

#7: Post by bmb »

El Magnifico should still be excellent ! Some of the best espressi I had ...
Carrer de l'Argenteria, 64, Barcelona, España

Sans family, three generations of first class coffee hunters and roasters.

Ask for a lighter roast as , normally, Spanish roasts are on the dark side.

DaveB (original poster)

#8: Post by DaveB (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! We first spent a week in Ibiza and Formentera, where the coffee was sorely lacking (Nespresso was about as good as it got). Upon arrival in BCN, the first place we went to was Satan's, which was quite good, although a bit crowded and full of tourists, not that I'm one to talk.

Next, we stumbled upon this place in the Gothic area, and was my favorite for ambiance (older, very friendly baristas; almost all locals going there, and most cozy). We got a great recomedation for an awesome restaurant in the area from a local lady (my GF is a native Spanish speaker, while mi español es terrible).

Coffee of the day:

Roaster:

Roaster specs:

The espresso was more Italian style than the other places, a bit darker and a bit of roasty flavor.

The next place we stumbled upon was Cafe El Magnifico (the day before I saw it mentioned above):

They pull very tight shots with 16 grams in; the single looked like it might be a 1:1 ratio:

Coffee of the day:

Roaster (in action):

Another place we stumbled across was Black Remedy in the Gothic area. They had a beautiful 3-group Slayer and pulled very nice shots:

Finally, on the last day we made it to Nomad. Apparently they have multiple locations, as the one we visited was in the El Born area at Career de Saint Perl Res Alt 53. They had a very unusual setup, and was the only place where they weighed both dose and output:

(the milk steamer is the gizmo in front of her)

IMO, Nomad had the best flat white of the bunch, with the best microfoam. The straight espresso was nothing short of spectacular. Seems fitting as it is rated #1 in Barcelona on Beanhunter app. I never got a chance to check out some of the others listed in the link above; I really wanted to see the cute little coffee truck at Skye Coffee Co. Next time!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

We very much enjoyed Cafè Caracas near La Ramblas close to the ocean.

I'd say it was the best espresso we had in Barcelona. It's a really cool 'Retro' cafe.

Address: Carrer de l'Hostal d'en Sol, 12, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

keno

#10: Post by keno »

Just got back from Barcelona. Last time I was there was about 6 years ago. The specialty coffee scene has definitely improved quite a bit since then. Based on Yakster's recommendation I tried Satan's Coffee and enjoyed it. It's tucked away and in a nice little square. You can either sit down or order from the take away window which is what I did since it was pretty crowded.

I was going to try Nomad but it was very crowded on a rainy day so instead I opted for a place I found less than two blocks from Nomad called La Masala at Carrer d'En Mònec 6. It's in the Gothic Quarter and is a very cozy and inviting space. They pull shots on an LM Linea Classic. I highly recommend the carrot cake.

However, the best coffee I actually had in Barcelona was not at a cafe but was served by a vendor at the conference I attended. They contracted with a local specialty coffee catering service called Degusto Arte. If you are looking for something like this here's their website: https://degustoarte.com/en/