I Converted a Spartan Trailer into a Coffee Shop in Austin, TX

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DucaiMann »

Hey guys!

I am really excited to share my project with y'all as I would not be in the position I am in now if it wasn't for the incredible people of this forum. All of the moderators and people I have interacted with over the years has inspired me to move forward in the coffee industry and I believe we are creating something that is unique to the commercial coffee shop scene.

For those of you who don't know me, I am Eric. I started LeverCraft (http://www.levercraft.com) a number of years ago when I discovered lever espresso machines and have been hoarding them ever since. I restore and sell them, and do my best to help others with theirs as well. I even made a few awesome friends locally because of it (Thanks David!). I was roasting a bit before I started the LLC, but got into wholesaling coffee to my office that I worked at and immediately fell in love with that with the purchase of a Huky. I spent a year roasting 20-30 lbs on my Huky every week and when I couldn't do that any longer, I upgraded to a 2kg roaster and quit my day job.

Since then, I have been working hard on bringing our skills as home baristas to a larger market and had an opportunity to open a coffee shop on some commercial property that my girlfriend had recently purchased in Austin, TX. I created the space with the intention of bring the home barista to the commercial scene. I have heard too often that it is not possible to prep our coffee in a fast paced environment like we do at home and I am trying to prove y'all wrong :).

I purchased 2 Decent Espresso Machines and the best commercial grinder on the market, the Mythos II, with the intention of having the best espresso in town, as well as creating an environment that encourages experimentation. I have a Niche in the shop as well to use for our pour over, and it can be quickly modified to accept any sample coffees for espresso that I have sitting around. So far, we have been able to turn around about 20 drinks per hour during the weekends. Some of that does include cold brew, which doesn't come from the espresso bar, but the Decent machines are holding their own pretty well. The biggest hold up that I have had so far is when steaming a large volume of milk for a chai latte. It takes around 50 seconds of steaming to heat that much milk, but on the plus side, it is very controllable and I have yet to have any milk steaming get away from me when I am moving quickly.

I grind (the Mythos is gravametric so it is weighed), WDT, polish, and tamp every single shot. Because the Decent is also volumetric, and stops by weight, I don't have to pay attention to that as the shot is pouring, and I can prep the next shot without interruption. When the first shot on the first machine stops, I can start steaming on that machine as I pull the next shot, and it rotates. It is certainly a bit slower than a standard machine, but being able to be incredibly accurate wins over speed in my opinion. I think on a shot by shot basis, we are probably doing more consistent espresso than anyone in town...and probably in the country. I won't claim that it is the best, but that is where our sights are at.

I thought y'all might be interested in how the Decent holds up in a commercial setting which is part of the reason for this post, but I am really more excited to share the project that I undertook this year, and where it has landed us on the coffee scene.

Again, my life has pointed me towards coffee since I became interested, and everyone I have interacted with through coffee has influenced my decisions in the past few years. I am so grateful for all of the people in my life and very thankful that this forum exists.

Here is a link to the shop that I built, with the help of some friends, and even some strangers who were gracious enough to come help me, all in the name of sharing good coffee. I'm tearing up a bit as I write this because I feel so lucky to have the opportunities that I have and I want nothing more than to give back to those that have been here to help.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xH2VmCD

The post is long, but I think a lot of you folks will enjoy the read, and I would love for any and all of you to come by for a coffee on me. I have big plans for the company and am always looking to up our coffee game. I would also just love the chance to geek out about our equipment, the space, and would like the opportunity to serve y'all in the space I am most comfortable in.

Thank you for all you have done for me.

Eric

★ Helpful

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Wow. Really nice job. I love the tile/wood interface on the floor. I hope you do well.

Ira

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

DucaiMann wrote: the best commercial grinder on the market, the Mythos II,
Great intentions. Love the thread. If I ever make it back to Austin, I want to check it out, BUT.

EG-1.

I'm just sayin'

That trailer is so large and retro.

I just might have to return to TX.
LMWDP #198

DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) replying to Chert »

I won't disagree that the eg1 is a superior grinder, but it would be hard to execute with in a cafe.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Eric, I'm thrilled for your newfound success and wish you much more. So much passion and sweat have gone into this small dream. I'm inspired by your enthusiasm and hard work.

Cant wait to see it all firsthand someday soon.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Looked through all your pics, even the Schluter Ditra - very impressive!

You're obviously willing to work hard and do what it takes. I'm sure you'll be successful following your passion. Thanks for taking us along by posting your pics.

Best of luck!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

Did you do any crowd funding? That awesome read, slide show, merits some kind of donation to help you start off with less debt!
LMWDP #198

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) replying to Chert »

I did not. Most of the debt I accrued is on credit cards. Not a smart way to go, but I didn't want to have to slow down to think about money and I was/am confident I will have most of that debt paid off in 6 months or so.

Thanks for reading!

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Looked through all your pics, even the Schluter Ditra - very impressive!

You're obviously willing to work hard and do what it takes. I'm sure you'll be successful following your passion. Thanks for taking us along by posting your pics.

Best of luck!
Thank you! I had a lot of advice and help from others.

I'd love to see you in the shop sometime.

Cheers!

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to DucaiMann »

We have family in Texas so you never know - I hope so!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"