How Starbucks Beat The Odds In Italy

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
stangman

#1: Post by stangman »

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

I'm not ready to admit Starbucks has been a success in Italy, even if it would have in Milan. The shop in Milan is no ordinary Starbucks but a "Starbucks Reserve Roastery". We'll see how it'll go in the more usual stores like the one that just opened up here in Verona. Sure, lots of tourism here so maybe at least they will go.

We'll see.
Osku

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

The strategy of opening in tourist areas seems very smart to me. Even leaving aside the "Reserve" stores, they do not appear to be competing with traditional bars; but offering a different - and more expensive/profitable - experience.

There are 640 McDonald's in Italy ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Brewzologist »

Was just in Tuscany and Rome for a couple weeks. Couldn't find a Starbucks of any kind and believe me my wife tried! 8)

EDIT: Watched the video. I would say the few times I've had Starbucks espresso in the states, it tasted no where near as good as in Italy at the average train station. Same for baked goods. My guess would be that the Milan store is upping their game to appeal to Italians.

SutterMill

#5: Post by SutterMill »

The family spent a couple of weeks earlier this summer in Rome save a few days for Capri.

The lack of Starbucks was refreshing. Hopefully it stays that way.

OperationalFloss

#6: Post by OperationalFloss »

Brewzologist wrote:Was just in Tuscany and Rome for a couple weeks. Couldn't find a Starbucks of any kind and believe me my wife tried! 8)

EDIT: Watched the video. I would say the few times I've had Starbucks espresso in the states, it tasted no where near as good as in Italy at the average train station. Same for baked goods. My guess would be that the Milan store is upping their game to appeal to Italians.
I have no doubt that they stepped up their game for Milan. I'm imagining the disappointment on the interviewees' faces should they come to the US... see the familiar logo, order some coffee, their name gets called, and then a cup of flabbergast.

I love their cold brew though.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I used to work at a company that had Starbucks coffee, usually brewed my own but it did make good Vietnamese coffee when brewed in a phin filter over condensed milk and ice.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272