Headed to Berlin - cafe recommendations needed

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
lancealot

#1: Post by lancealot »

Headed there really soon. Gonna be there for 2 weeks. Anyone know anything about coffee espresso and cafes in Berlin? Thanks in advance.

lagoon

#3: Post by lagoon »

Berlin has probably the best coffee scene in Germany after perhaps Hamburg. It's also the home of the currywurst.

Your tastebuds won't know what hit them.

kolu

#4: Post by kolu »

my popular places not in the links linked that are totally worth visiting:
Populus Coffee (Maybachufer 20)
Ben Rahim (Sophienstr. 7, inside Hackescher Markt)
Oslo Kaffe at Nordic Embassy (Rauchstr. 1)

lancealot (original poster)

#5: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

Thank you all very much!

lancealot (original poster)

#6: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

Passed on this place today.

Instead we went to The Barn. They were pulling a Brazillian. Lightly roasted. My group sampled a doupio, and a latte and a long black. It was pretty bright as a straight shot and not my jam. It ended up tasting really nice with the milk. I didn't try the long black but the person who had it liked it. They were reluctant to serve me the long black (ordered as an americano). The person who took my order tried to get me into a pour over and the barista also tried to pursuade me to have a pour over as well. It wasn't my choice. I simply ordered the coffee for my friends.

The other day I went to Double Eye. I was on a run and ordered a doupio. They had a light and dark to choose from. I went with dark. It had a nice balance but still had plenty of acidity for something "dark." This was more in my wheelhouse. Double Eye is in the neighborhood where I am staying so I think I will be back quite a few times. This is a good thing.

Baratza
Sponsor

#7: Post by Baratza »

Just back from Berlin a couple of weeks ago after World of Coffee in Amsterdam. No shortage of great coffee!
My (JoyceK) recs:
Father Carpenter - Mitte - Amazing eggs on toast
The Barn - try the roastery -
Bonanza - in a residential area, but cool space
Isla -
Five Elephant Mitte

Chert

#8: Post by Chert »

Father Carpenter and Domberger Brot-Werke did not disappoint. Great food and bread respectively and a capable coffee service at both.

But a greater focus on the coffee had Ben Rahim at the Hackescher Hof. What a great location and coffee service! Square Mile beans represented very well but (to me) unique arabic coffee culture additions really made for an interesting treat.

I also made it to a roaster cafe in Neukoelln just by chance. The barista at Passenger Coffee made me a nice espresso and offered a pleasant spot to catch up with an old friend.
LMWDP #198