Get-Together: Twin Cities, MN, June 13-15

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

I have 3 GCBC folks coming in from out-of-state in June to join our merry 8 Gopher Gulper cupping gents. This is an invite to Twin Cities locals to join us for part/all of it. Drop me a PM if you will be headed in to St Paul for details/phone number. We will also squeeze in some tavern sampling -- http://mspmag.com/Best-of-the-Twin-Citi ... oom-Guide/

Friday
1. Friday, 9.30am, Jun 13. Honduran Cup of Excellence cupping, Cafe Imports. Flight 1 only.
2. Friday, 11am, June 13. Mill City Roasters, MSP. Steve Green will fire up his newly imported North
Roaster gas roasters: http://millcityroasters.com/
3. Friday, 12.15pm. Lunch at Kramarczuk's, MSP. Ukranian luncheonnette/smoked meat shop.
3. Friday, 1.30pm, Jun 13. Meet with Matt Brown, broker; and Ian Fretheim, lab director; Cafe Imports.
Open discussion on sourcing at origin challenges, COE jury participation, rust impact on CAmer, where
specialty coffee is headed, etc.
4. Friday, 6pm, Italian Fare, Cossetta's on 7th, STP. Families
welcome.
5. Friday, 8pm, ice cream at Izzy's, STP, the best ice cream in the world. Families welcome.

Saturday
1. Coffee crawl , 10am'ish - Dogwood, Milwaukee Inst of Art, MSP; Kopplins, STP; Spyhouse, MSP (I would
like you to see their refurbed '60s Probat). All eye candy.
2. 4pm. Cheese festival. Bring your favorite cheese from home. I will have Minnesota cheeses and we will have a cheese throw-down with fruits and brews. Families welcome.
3. 5pm'ish. Grill and grin. We will grill some sausages from Kramarczuk's. Bring your favorite meats/sides. Families welcome.

Sunday
1. Coffee crawl, 9.15am - Peace Coffee, MSP
2. Sunday afternoon - local brews (Summit EPA, Surley Cynic Ale, Grainbelt, et al) in the cooler and the Twins on the radio.
-----
LMWDP #339

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

Coffee, sausage, cheese, beer?

Dang. Wish I could be there for that. Have fun!

Pete
LMWDP #484

combs78

#3: Post by combs78 »

Cool..Hope it turns out to be a big success.. Have fun guys :)

Boldjava (original poster)

#4: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Big weekend. Highlights:
    • * Cupping Honduran COEs. Not the shiniest table. Not going after anything in the auction.
      * Round-table discussion at Cafe Imports. Trouble ahead with rust. Shortages and efforts at dealing with it. Too many -mor hybrids being pushed on farmers.
      * Hoppiados. Macchiatos chased with IPA drafts at Dogwood Coffee, Minneapolis Inst of the Arts. Mod Bar, designed by Marzocco.
      * Picnic with Gopher Gulpers. 23 folks bring Minnesoda hotdish to pass. Everyone brought an artisan cheese or two to share, one vote per person. First prize went to an oak-aged English cheddar (green tie-dyed shirt as prize) and Yakster took second place and walked with a Spyhouse Minnesota imaged ceramic set.
      * I grabbed three pounds of goat meat from a farmer and made some Ethiopian curry. It turned out well, served with injera from a local Ethiopian restaurant. Ratcheted back the red pepper by 1/3 from the recipe and it was just right.
      * Six MadHatters Cuppers (below) still cupping strong on Sunday a.m. - two Bolivians and two Guat San Pedro Laguna samples. One or two Guats will be distributed. Yakster 3rd from right, BoldJava, 2nd from right.
      * Summit Extra Pale Ales and Cuban Cigars via Moscow. Punch lives.
    Good weekend, good folks.

B|Java
    -----
    LMWDP #339

yakster
    Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

A big thanks to the host, BoldJava, the pacing and events were perfect and I couldn't get enough of the curried goat.

Sitting in on the top 10 Honduras COE cupping at Cafe Imports and even just the informal MadHatters cupping at Dave's house was humbling to me, but very educational.
    -Chris

LMWDP # 272