Food and Wine's top 10 coffee shops in the country

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
culturesub

#1: Post by culturesub »

Super well done list here, as someone who has visited the majority of these shops. #1 is Sey's flagship in Brooklyn and #2 is Dayglow in LA.

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/rest ... erica-2019

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

I never liked these lists, as you know that they have only tried a small sample.

that being said, I love the look of King State. You don't know how often I have seen a closed gas station and wanted to turn it into a coffee shop.

Scott
LMWDP #248

Elliot

#3: Post by Elliot »

For me, the list is useful, but also missing one big part of my own interest: quality of the coffee. Now, don't get me wrong, I have had coffee from some of the Top 10 and I'm sure that was some factor. But ultimately, I'm not sure how much cuteness or atmosphere played into it (likely a fair amount, rightfully so).

I just wanna know who roasts the best stuff for me to order :)

pGolay

#4: Post by pGolay »

Blimey, an awful lot in California and none in Seattle.... I'll have to sit down for a while.
-PG

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Lists are opinions, but I do find that when I travel, picking one off a list gives better results than trying to Google while I am there. So I use the reading view option of my iPad, strip out all the junk, and save these to a cloud drive to look at when I am on the road.

Thanks for posting.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

culturesub (original poster)

#6: Post by culturesub (original poster) »

Elliot wrote:For me, the list is useful, but also missing one big part of my own interest: quality of the coffee. Now, don't get me wrong, I have had coffee from some of the Top 10 and I'm sure that was some factor. But ultimately, I'm not sure how much cuteness or atmosphere played into it (likely a fair amount, rightfully so).

I just wanna know who roasts the best stuff for me to order :)
The list is full of people who serve or roast incredible coffees. Sey was #1 is the best IMHO true light/Scandinavian style toaster in the US, Dayglow is 2 and serves, amongst others. Sey, Drop, La Cabra, Coffee Collective and many of the other best roasters in the world. I could go on, and even if some of the roasters/coffee shops are darker roasted then my personal preference, every single place here is using high quality coffee.

belegnole

#7: Post by belegnole »

The list title is misleading as it's only a valid list for the person who posted it. These are not the best, but the best he found in his travels.
LMWDP #641

#8: Post by culturesub (original poster) replying to belegnole »

Uhh its an official list put out by Food and Wine. The title isn't misleading at all.

belegnole

#9: Post by belegnole »

culturesub wrote: Uhh its an official list put out by Food and Wine. The title isn't misleading at all.
Of course it is. The research was done by one person choosing which shops to visit on his travels. The favorites are David Landsel's nothing more.

Are some of these great places to have coffee? Probably. Of course they are also probably trendy...
LMWDP #641

#10: Post by culturesub (original poster) replying to belegnole »

I'm not sure you know what journalism is or lists provided by magazines as a concept are.