Favourites in Melbourne CBD

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

Coming down from North Queensland to visit the workplace of an old schoolmate. His shop is in Melbourne CBD area. It's dripping with espresso shops, but he's not overly keen on coffee. Would like to narrow it down a bit with some recommendations. Trying for this question to stick to CBD only. I know the totality of Melbourne is world class in this space.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

luca
Team HB

#2: Post by luca »

Good question. I don't actually drink much in the CBD, so take this with a grain of salt ...

Probably Brother Baba Budan #1 to try something local and iconic. Light-ish espresso roast ... you'll love it or you'll hate it. Higher Ground also in a similar-ish roast genre last time I was there (a while ago).

Shamble coffee brewers and, I think, Little Rogue get in pricey stuff from overseas roasters that should be delicious, but perhaps not a great place to go for local stuff, since the overseas stuff is the drawcard.

For more developed roasts, I hear lots of good things about Dukes, but haven't tried their stuff for a while. Axil will probably be the low acid, high body, chocolate nut comfort food cup winner, I'd guess.

If you can go a little further out - and I know that's exactly what you said not to write about - Calere on Gertrude st is great.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Grader Exam, Brewer's Cup #3, Australian Cup Tasting #1

pcrussell50

#3: Post by pcrussell50 »

luca wrote: If you can go a little further out - and I know that's exactly what you said not to write about - Calere on Gertrude st is great.
Hah! How timely. Despite the F1 weekend, wife found a reasonable hire car. So location constraints are lifted. Save for the obvious desire to stay clear of anything near Albert Park.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

luca
Team HB

#4: Post by luca »

Ha! Cool. Well if you're able to go a little further afield, Aunty pegs/ proud Mary is pretty close to Calere as well. It's a worth checking out. They usually have three or so different coffees with a particular theme on showcase, often with some crazy geisha or Bernardina. You never know what you're going to get. Sometimes you look at their offers and they'll have a bit of everything, including your dream coffee. Other times you turn up and they only have naturals and anaerobic coffees on offer, and the barista explains to you that once upon a time, old fogeys in coffee had an aversion to natural processed coffees because some had earthy defects, but now all natural processed coffees are manna from heaven by definition, so that's all they've got (plus a few anaerobic naturals). They usually have a baby three cup cupping on at 10:30 on saturdays, but I'm assuming that's probably not on with the corona virus fear in the air (and fair enough, too).
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Grader Exam, Brewer's Cup #3, Australian Cup Tasting #1