Espresso recommendations in Seattle area

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
shkob1

#1: Post by shkob1 »

Hey folks!

I have been using Mauro Deluxe for my espresso for a while and I like it. I'm using Niche Zero and Lelit Mara X, doing 14gr in 28gr yield at 30 sec as my recipe (Niche at about 16.5 setting).

Now I want to explore more local roasters as I know Seattle area has lots of options. The thing is this - every coffee shop where I ask for an espresso (e.g Olympia, Flora bakehouse etc) I get a very sour flavor. I got a recommendation of Storyville so I bought a batch. Trying a classic 1:2 ratio was not good imo. Contacting Storyville they recommended 1:1 ratio at 24 sec which was also very sour for me. The only recipe that was ok for me was 10gr in 30 gr yield at 38 sec (Mara x has ~10sec pre infusion) but it isn't very consistent.

Is it my pallette? Is it the American roasters? Recipe? Would love to get your take. Also some recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

SandraF

#2: Post by SandraF »

Try increasing the brew temperature 2 degrees and see if that improves flavor. If so, you know you're on the right track. Sometimes too cool brew temperature results in sourness.
★ Helpful

mckolit

#3: Post by mckolit »

I would recommend Espresso Vivace. They've been around for a while. Our go to place when we go to Seattle.

shkob1 (original poster)

#4: Post by shkob1 (original poster) »

Thanks for the options, will try.
With Vivace do you have a specific recipe in mind or do you just mean go try over there?

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

Mauro is a nice roaster in the Italian Style. I doubt there is a Seattle area roaster blending 30% robusta. The Mauro I had was not Neapolitan* dark. For roasters that may offer you an espresso in that developed Italian style, Vivace is a good rec. Caffe D'arte, maybe Cherry Street or that one across the street from the Seattle Art Museum (the name escapes me).

You should be able to have an espresso at the bar, if it appeals buy the blend. Lighthouse is another local one that roasts to darker zones.

Olympia is on the lighter extreme so no wonder you find it sour.

[edit*]: it was Calabrian dark, fully developed, probably just into 2nd Crack with that lovely light oil sheen of some Italian espresso.
LMWDP #198

shkob1 (original poster)

#6: Post by shkob1 (original poster) »

Do you mean Lardo? Or Fonte Cafe?

mckolit

#7: Post by mckolit »

shkob1 wrote:Thanks for the options, will try.
With Vivace do you have a specific recipe in mind or do you just mean go try over there?
I meant to go try over there. We also bought their monsooned malabar espresso beans. Some of the best I've had in my machine. For those beans, I had my QM67 dialed way down to 194 for the shots.

shkob1 (original poster)

#8: Post by shkob1 (original poster) »

Thanks. Mara X has 3 temperature modes rather than exact so I'm at the lowest (=warm 197-199).

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

shkob1 wrote:Do you mean Lardo? Or Fonte Cafe?
Oh, Ladro? Good coffee; not sure about comparison to Mauro as I think Ladro is a bit more full spectrum than the others mentioned.

They probably have darker and a lighter selections; but I meant Fonte across from SAM - thanks for the memory jog. In the past they roasted also for Uptown.
LMWDP #198

shkob1 (original poster)

#10: Post by shkob1 (original poster) »

I actually love Fonte but only had their cappuccino - time to head back!