Espresso in NYC

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
paulraphael

#1: Post by paulraphael »

I've been on a bender over the last year tasting espresso all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. It's been a surprising trip. It's now been about six months since I've had a decent espresso in Manhattan. Odd, since I stumbled onto the first good espressos of my life here, between 2008 and 2012. I had these at 9th St. Espresso (multiple locations), Joe (formerly Joe the Art of Coffee), Abraco, and Stumptown. I haven't revisited all these places lately, but have now had two disappointing Hairbender shots at two different Stumptown locations in the last month. Just a couple of years ago I had mind-bending hairbenders at the Ace Hotel.

Other disappointments have included Toby's Estate 5th Avenue location, Culture Espresso, and just yesterday, the nastiest shot in all memory from a very shiny Synesso Hydra at Madman Espresso (Before the first sad sip I asked the Barista what kind of coffee it was. She had to read it off the bag, and said "It's from Africa!").

Brooklyn has been a different story. My success rate here is over 50%. My own neighborhood, south of Prospect Park, is full of great coffee from relatively unknown shops. Way at the top of the list is Coffee Mob, at Newkirk Plaza. They roast their own beans ... something I'm wary of, since I've had so much bad coffee from places that claim this. But here the owner does a great job*. His specialty is medium-light single origins from East Africa, with some breaks for Latin American Coffees, and very occasionally a blend. He has a relationship with mom 'n pop coffee producer in Burundi called Long Miles, and the burundian beans he's been getting from there are among the best things I've ever tasted. I don't him or the baristas doing anything fancy when pulling the shots. Peak Grinder (down for service at the moment ... they're using some old Mazzer) and a standard issue Marzocco machine with no pressure profiling or anything else. Every espresso is a flavor bomb, worth savoring.

I've also gotten good shots at Café Madeline on Cortelyou (they've been pulling Toby's Estate blends). This place is always good, but has never blown the top off my head off. The owner has just opened up a shop across the street with a Slayer Steam machine. They're still dialing it in and I've made friends with the Barista. They're planning to use Brooklyn's Parlor Coffee. I'm looking forward to spending some time here after they figure it out.

I've had good but not mind-blowing espressos at Konditori (a Swedish chain? Or just Swedish inspired?) in Williamsburg. They just moved and I haven't found the new location.

Parkside Creamery on Flatbush is promising. I've had one very good shot, made with a fudgy, caramely blend from Parlor Coffee. And one lousy shot made from the same blend. Same barista, different day.

My biggest Brooklyn disappointment was two weeks ago at Hungry Ghost, which says it's all about espresso fanaticism. They're all about Hair Bender, and their baristas get intensive training at Stumptown. The shot I had was a little thin and bright and unbalanced.

I'm wondering if many of my disappointments are because most of these shops know that 90% of their customers order milk drinks, so they're balancing their shots hold up through the milk, at the expense of tasting balanced when straight. It's also possible that my palate is a little funny, and some of what tastes unbalanced to me would taste fine to other espresso nuts.

Anyone else have tips on the good and the bad in NYC?

*There's a roasting collective in Brooklyn called Pulley Collective ... smaller shops can book time on high end roasting equipment, so they can share the costs of the overhead. Coffee Mob roasts here, and I believe Joe and 9th St. do as well.

Shojin

#2: Post by Shojin »

Have you tried Box Kite? There are two locations, one in the East Village and one on the Upper West Side.
http://boxkitenyc.com/

I haven't tried them myself; they opened after I left NYC, but I have seen them recommended frequently enough that they're at the top of my list to try next time I visit.

Cafeneo

#3: Post by Cafeneo »

I'm in NYC as we speak - went to stumptown today and much like yourself ... wasn't very impressed. I'll hav e to look elsewhere but was hoping for better results. Much like yourself - places that roast their own beans are to be looked at with a grain of salt - as I agree they are too often disappointing. Anyhow looking forward to some recommendations.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by cpreston »

Uptown, Little Collins on Lexington is consistently good. In the village near Washington Square I've had good luck with 3rd Rail. And of course the often recommended Joe Pro Shop in Chelsea.

paulraphael (original poster)

#5: Post by paulraphael (original poster) »

I've added Little Collins, 3rd Rail, and Box Kit to the list.

Not sure what's up with Stumptown. I've had great espressos there in past years, and I still like their beans.

And I need to try Joe again. They were always very good. Just haven't made it back in a while.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso »

paulraphael wrote: Anyone else have tips on the good and the bad in NYC?
Everyman, Irving Farm and Gimme.

I haven't been to Gimme in NYC though...just the ones upstate.
LMWDP #580

michael

#7: Post by michael »

I like everyman at west broadway and canal 8)

BuckleyT

#8: Post by BuckleyT »

You haven't mentioned Blue Bottle. Worth a try if the subways are working.

oButto

#9: Post by oButto »

Just tried the new Devocion in downtown Brooklyn, highly recommended. They have a Slayer there.

bmorton

#10: Post by bmorton »

There's also an everyman in Brooklyn - 5th ave near Lincoln/Degraw.