Downtown San Diego cafes

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
thuegli

#1: Post by thuegli »

I'm in San Diego for a few days. I'll be on foot with a toddler. Any recommendations within walking distance of the convention center?

I've got all day, every day, to burn while the wife is at a conference. :D

Thanks!

ArchieCoffee
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ArchieCoffee »

Hawthorn Coffee on Adams Ave is fantastic. I went there and tried a bunch of different stuff (and came out buzzing), and it was all great. Like you, I was at a conference in the downtown area, and I had heard about Hawthorn, so I drove the 15 or so minutes outside of downtown to check it out. Totally worth the drive.

ArchieCoffee
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by ArchieCoffee »

I just saw that you'll be on foot. Hmmmmm..... I don't know. Maybe take a Lyft or something. But it would be worth it to go.

thuegli (original poster)

#4: Post by thuegli (original poster) replying to ArchieCoffee »

Thanks! I actually have a car, but was hoping to walk and enjoy the sun. But I'll drive if necessary!

jevenator

#5: Post by jevenator »

Here's a map I made. It's not completely extensive but the ones that I would go to. +1 on Hawthorn. I've gone there a few times. Bird Rock is good and so is theWestBean.

caeffe

#6: Post by caeffe »

Jev's map is a good start
I know the gaslamp is close to the convention center but I highly recommend walking or tramming over to Little Italy (roughly India & Date). Plenty to see and do there. There's a James Coffee that I've been to personally that is great and looks like there also Bird Rock there. Of course there's also Pizza, Pasta and Gelato.
It's a bit of walk from the convention center but On foot, you can get there from the convention center via the Trolley/Tram

Most of all: go to Extraordinary Desserts with your toddler whether by car or on foot either before or after going to Little Italy.
http://extraordinarydesserts.com/
LMWDP #162

jevenator

#7: Post by jevenator »

caeffe wrote:
Most of all: go to Extraordinary Desserts with your toddler whether by car or on foot either before or after going to Little Italy.
http://extraordinarydesserts.com/
I forgot about this place because we have access to really good Russian bakers now but we used to order cakes from here for birthdays for like 5 years in a row.

There's a Extraordinary Dessert right next to James Coffee (and westbean too) But James is a really solid choice as well. Also, right next to them is Quince Street bridge on 222 Quince St that leads to Maple Canyon Trail. It's a nice little walk. It rained a bit recently which means you might actually get a view of live vegetation :lol: You can read about it here.

BTD1986

#8: Post by BTD1986 »

Coava is within walking distance to the convention center and is one of my favorites downtown.

jevenator

#9: Post by jevenator replying to BTD1986 »

Really? I had a pourover there and was highly disappointed as the brew was very bitter and I couldn't even finish it. My brother in law was with me who's not really a black coffee drinker hated it as well. The reason why I bring him up is because he'll appreciate my Pour-overs I make at home.

MNate

#10: Post by MNate »

James was my first pick and Bird Rock my second. And the Crack Shack for awesome fried chicken. All in Little Italy which is a good walk but I think you'd be fine. Oh, and Salt and Straw for ice cream. I realize some of those are chains on the west coast but for a visiting Minnesota family they were great.

I like to buy a cup from someplace when I travel and Bird Rock has the best one in my opinion. Not sure cheap, of course.