Decent Minneapolis Meetup - Page 5

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Goosed

#41: Post by Goosed »

DonSWG wrote:I probably won't be able to either, which is why I'm going to provide small disposable cups to spit into, if desired. I do that all the time at work. If I'm dialing in 2-3 times in a shift, I'm tasting at least 4-8 shots. It gets quite crazy if I don't spit most of them :lol: . I do appreciate you bringing the Cremina though, if you don't mind!
Sounds good, I'm excited!

coffee-fox
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by coffee-fox »

Hello DonSWG,

If there is still room, I'd love to join this gathering and learn. I'm really curious to see a Decent Espresso machine in person. I considered getting a DE1+ and decided to go in the opposite direction with a Londinum R lever (I'm pretty happy with it).

Someone mentioned a refractometer. I can bring my VST refractometer with the VST software on my phone.

Other equipment I can easily bring if there is an interest: Monolith conical, Cafelet Robot, Niche Zero, Fiorenzato F4E with SSP burrs, Elektra MCAL.

I'm excited that truemagellan is bringing his Elektra MCAL. I'd like to learn how to pull good espresso shot with it. That's been elusive for me.

I'll call in to Five Watt when you're there to say hello and enjoy coffee. I appreciate your willingness to open your home and build community.
Michael Davis

DonSWG

#43: Post by DonSWG replying to coffee-fox »

You're in! Guest list is closed!

Thank you for offering to bring the refractometer! Apparently we don't have one that I can use at work, so it's very appreciated! It would be interesting to try the Monolith conical against the flat MAX, so bring that! I'm sure many would be interested in the Cafelat Robot as well, especially given how small and portable it is. I have two pouring kettles, so no need to bring one.
David Morgan

BalzacFan

#44: Post by BalzacFan »

Hi David,

I am still interested in the Dec. 7 meeting at, I believe, your place. Has a time been set yet? There is another event in which I am interested and would to see if there is any conflict.

Thanks!

Bob Hagen

DonSWG

#45: Post by DonSWG replying to BalzacFan »

Hey Bob, check your DM inbox. The time is listed in the first message I sent!
David Morgan

BalzacFan

#46: Post by BalzacFan »

Thanks!

I am new to navigating this site and will find the DM section.

I am looking forward to it!

Bob

DonSWG

#47: Post by DonSWG replying to BalzacFan »

It's the text up at the top that says "Inbox", by the notifications bell! Hope that helps!
David Morgan

MNate

#48: Post by MNate »

Well, I'm not the official reporter but I'd like to say thanks to DonSWG for hosting our Minneapolis get together, it was really wonderful. And FiveWatt for the good beans, and for all the others who lugged their great machines over.

I think my favorite part, beyond meeting everyone, was just seeing so many machines. I was surprised by some of their sizes in person (Cremina and Decents appeared smaller in person, really the GS3 too- maybe my machine is just so large- and the grinders all seemed so much bigger than I thought they'd be- the Monoliths, especially the max, the Robur and even the Niche And Kinu M47).

It was nice to get a nice tour of the Decents. I do think it's the machine I'll get someday... much quieter than I expected, made good microfoam with little effort and in not that much time, and thoughtfully designed.

But in general I came away pretty happy with my current setup. So that was nice too. I do think that the beans I like best I like much because they are the ones that just work best in my espresso machine. (For my HX, anyway).

Haha, and I thought it was funny that there just happened to be a lever room and a pump-driven room.

Very fun afternoon!
I do think we got a sense of the espresso each machine produces, even though it wasn't all the same grinder or even bean.

I sure hope there is a next time! Thanks all!

truemagellen

#49: Post by truemagellen »

Anyone still awake? :mrgreen:

I had a grand time and really want to thank David for hosting and everyone for lugging multiple multi thousand dollar machines in the Minnesota snow for this event it was great.

I only had 3 shots amazingly as coffee conversation was so interesting and insightful.

We could open a Minneapolis espresso lab and it would be a hit.

Davidm

#50: Post by Davidm »

Yes truly a tremendous, highly caffeinated time.

Thank you to David (donswg) for turning his house into an espresso lab. This was my first time to transport my DE1 so I had the epiphany of wow, that is easy I need to travel more with my machine.

Firsts for me:
- pulling shots on a gs3
- using a monolith Max
- seeing a cafelat robot and espresso forge
- learning about levers (3 of them and how they differ)
- getting with people that are truly passionate and know a lot about coffee

Rimblas had the camera, so expecting a few more pictures to surface. Truly a good time, thank you everyone.

David