CoffeeCon 2012 - Chicago Area

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
EricBNC

#1: Post by EricBNC »

There is a coffee (and espresso) related convention going on in the greater Chicago area this Saturday, February 25th and yours truly has been invited to blog about coffee related happenings going on that day - I am stoked to say the least! I hope I get to meet some of the regulars here on this board at the event - should be entertaining as well as a great chance to share ideas with fellow coffee enthusiasts!

From my blog on ROASTe:
What are you doing Saturday, February 25th this year? I am going to CoffeeCon 2012. CoffeeCon will offer attendees many special guests, surprises and live entertainment planned for the First Consumer Coffee Event - Ever. The main focus will be that wonderful beverage we all love. And how we love it. Coffee is the World's second biggest commodity and Specialty Coffee that's brewed to perfection gives us even more to enjoy according to the organizer, Kevin Sinnott.

When: Saturday, February 25th, 2012
9:00am-5:00pm

Where IBEW Local Union 701
28600 Bella Vista Parkway
Warrenville, IL 60555
This sounds like fun if you are a coffee enthusiast like me! In case you don't know yet about Kevin Sinnott, he is a nationally recognized coffee expert. He's the author of two books and a DVD (Coffee Brewing Secrets) on the subject. His latest book is called The Art & Craft of Coffee. Publishers Weekly has called it the best book on the subject in recent years. He hosts a blog about coffee related events and has quite a few video reviews discussing coffee related equipment on his YouTube channel that are worth checking out too.

He's talked coffee with Oprah Winfrey on national television, been featured in USA TODAY, The Chicago Tribune and other national publications, and discussed coffee and coffee brewing methods on ABC-TV's 20/20,The Food Network and countless radio talk shows.

Kevin is a television producer and his company Sinnott Productions created the first ever coffee reality series, Mission Coffee Can. This series about a group of college students who travel to Guatemala to learn about and market a new direct trade coffee was a ConnectedWorld.tv awards finalist at The 2011 International Broadcasting Conference in Amsterdam.

In short, CoffeeCon 2012 will be a coffee convention created and hosted for coffee enthusiasts by a huge coffee enthusiast!
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

This will turn out to be a fairly major event if all the presentations in the pipeline come off.

I'll be doing a talk on home espresso gear. The hook is that you can get a fairly decent shot using a Nespresso and a robusta capsule; but if you want to use better coffee, you need to get better espresso gear.

I'll be posting updates and will ask Kevin Sinnott to do an announcement
Jim Schulman

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Sounds like a blast. Hey, Jim's not listed as a "featured speaker." What gives? :o
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

I haven't sent in my bio yet. I'm trying to improve on "Posts frequently on HB. Regarded as a distinguished pest by many prominent coffee personalities. Yada, yada, yada."
Jim Schulman

EricBNC (original poster)

#5: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Another good reason to go to CoffeeCon 2012 Feb 25th:

The Bunn Trifecta comes home, or at least a home version is being unveiled at the event - $500 and you are making a perfect cup every time.

Kevin Sinnott posted a glowing review on The Coffee Companion blog site:

http://coffeecompanion.com/2012/02/bunn ... me-review/
LMWDP #378

Arpi

#6: Post by Arpi »

Interesting. It seems that injecting air plays a role in the flavor equation. Could that effect be reproduced after the brew, like when pouring wine?

Cheers

EricBNC (original poster)

#7: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

I know the air creates adjustable agitation to saturate the grounds evenly. I wonder how the cup would benefit from agitation or aeration after the brewing process is complete.
LMWDP #378

Arpi

#8: Post by Arpi »

OK. So they use the air as an agitation mechanism. I just tried pouring over from a distance to get some aeration, and it does create some small change but it may be psychological more than anything. Why would wine change but not coffee?

Thanks

UltramaticOrange

#9: Post by UltramaticOrange »

EricBNC wrote:Another good reason to go to CoffeeCon 2012 Feb 25th:

The Bunn Trifecta comes home, or at least a home version is being unveiled at the event - $500 and you are making a perfect cup every time.

Kevin Sinnott posted a glowing review on The Coffee Companion blog site:

http://coffeecompanion.com/2012/02/bunn ... me-review/
Ran across this video from Sweet Maria's
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#10: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Well, that's not the home version. Is the point that the home version might have the same potential "issues" then?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias