Coffee Stops During Portland Trip

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
delkat

#1: Post by delkat »

I'm heading to Portland for business this week and have a very small window to pick up some coffee beans to take home. I was thinking Heart Roasters Stereo Blend since I haven't tried it yet. I had some Nossa Full Cycle last week via mail order and thought it was excellent. We are using a Linea Mini and like our espresso more traditional style (not fruit bombs) - straight and some small milk drinks.

How's Coava? Looks very hipster. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

keno

#2: Post by keno »

Heart and Coava would be my two favorites. There are plenty of great places. Barista is good, they don't roast their own but host a variety of guest roasters. Case Study is also good. I'm not a fan of Water Ave.

You'll be spoiled for choice. Enjoy!

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

I was in Portland for the first time about a year and a half ago...also for business. I hit up 6 different cafes, and Nossa was a clear winner in my mind. Yeah, I went to Barista, and it was really good. I also hit up a place that pulls Heart and liked it as well, but like I said above, Nossa took 1st prize.
LMWDP #748

danetrainer

#4: Post by danetrainer »

I'll typically hit the shops mentioned (except Nossa) when I'm in Portland on a monthly basis and I only order straight shots. Consistency for the best I've had when there over the last 5 years would be between Barista in the Pearl and Coava. Also, great choices of coffee beans to take home from both.

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

delkat wrote:...How's Coava? Looks very hipster. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
We hit Coava during the SCAA. Wasn't hipster at all at the time. Woman serving us was interactive and knew her stuff. Loved Barista at the Pearl and enjoyed it for the same as well as for the coffee.
-----
LMWDP #339

hudsterboy

#6: Post by hudsterboy »

I just got a shot and a couple of cups of Kenyan at Coava. It was early and empty and the guys behind the counter were very friendly. They pulled me a great shot, which was refreshing after being in Fl. for such a long time.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

If you visit Barista in the Pearl, Nossa is just down the street. It's a twofer worth doing. I agree with the others about Coava.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
DnA_Coffee

#8: Post by DnA_Coffee »

When I lived in Portland some of my favorite espresso spots to hit were:
Heart, Coava, Sterling Coffee Roasters on 21st, Barista's on 23rd, Water Avenue (which right next door is Clive), and lastly Ristretto Roasters. These are kind of scattered throughout, but look em up and make a game plan. Conceivably you could hit Coava, water Ave, and Clive together; sterling and barista and maybe public domain together...you get the idea.

Have fun but no lever shops that I know of/remember!

Bret

#9: Post by Bret »

I was just there for an overnight trip, and stopped in Case Study Coffee about a block from the hotel. They had a Synesso and their own roast. It was extremely busy both times I was there, so no chance to talk with the barista. But the coffee was great! I'll go back again :-)

danetrainer

#10: Post by danetrainer »

DnA_Coffee wrote:
Have fun but no lever shops that I know of/remember!
There is a lever shop that is always worth visiting called Spella Caffe. They use a 3 group Rancillo lever and are dedicated to a traditional Italian style espresso. It's a tight little shop at 520 SW 5th Ave that is frequented by regulars. They roast their own beans at a separate location and you can pick up their roasted coffee at Market of Choice locations.