Coffee in Rome - what is worth trying/experiencing - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Jasper_8137

#11: Post by Jasper_8137 »

Going to Rome - where should I go for espresso?

These were the responses I got a few years back when we went to Rome

coyote-1

#12: Post by coyote-1 »

SutterMill wrote:There are an s-ton of cafes within a block of the spanish steps. I did find some locals were less than accommodating. Some were flat out rude. Granted the some tourists were deserving of scorn. It didn't help we were there in the middle of one of Europe's worst heat waves last summer. Everyone was a little on edge. Sorry to hear you had that experience.
I've spent a fair amount of time in Italy. I find Rome to deserve the reputation normally assigned to Paris**. Not everyone of course, but so very many in that city are utterly dismissive of customers. "Prego, prego" they say to everything.... then even if there's no one else in the joint, you end up waiting forever and getting bad service. I understand and speak a little Italian, so it's not a language thing. The remainder of Italy is not like that. I'd move to Umbria or Toscana in a heartbeat if needed lol

Interestingly, right across the roadway interchange from the Coliseum there's a tourist trap that has excellent food, excellent friendly service, reasonable prices, and the guy luring you in sings! I love sitting there, drinking Kronenborgs, gazing on the Coliseum.

**I've never experienced any issues in Paris. Always gotten a warm reception. There, speaking the language a bit definitely helps.

coffee_maybe (original poster)

#13: Post by coffee_maybe (original poster) »

SutterMill wrote:I'd recommend posting the list you have so you don't get several suggestions you already have ready to try. I spent two weeks last summer in Rome about a block from the Spanish steps. I tried to take in as much coffee as time and caffine tolerances would allow. Most of the places serving Lavazza and Kimbo were cafes which are everywhere. Also don't sleep on any place serving Illy. I snubbed Illy based on my experiences in the states with old, stale, pre-ground coffee. I finally tried an Illy stand at the airport when leaving and had one of the best cappuccino's of the trip.

Here's are some recommendations from memory as I think I deleted the list I had...
Hey, thanks a lot! You are right that I should have posted my list first so here its (it is only based on ressearch online):

1. La Casa del Caffè Tazza d'Oro
2. Faro - Luminaries of Coffee
3. Fax Factory
4. barnum Roma
5. Caffè Rinaldi
6. MAE Café, Vin et Cuisine
7. Coffee Drop
8. Marigold Roma
9. Rergamino caffè
10. Tram Depot Talenti

There is a description of all of them and why Ithey are on my list but it's not in english. As you can see, the cafes you posted are there, so thank you for giving me a more detailed info too. I was about to include Greco but heard about the prices too - 7 euro for a 7 gram shot is BRUTAL.
Heard mixed things about Sant' Eustachi too but I will probably visit it after your rec.
Thank you about the food rec too.
As for the pickpockets - thank you! This is pretty standard in Italy, Spain and France I think. I come from a country where i'm kinda used to it so I hope that helps.
Never heard of Moka Sirs but would try to pay attention if I see the brand name. I hope I end up finding good porcelain cups to buy too.

JamesB517

#14: Post by JamesB517 »

I actually really liked Tazza D'orro near the Pantheon. It's very much traditional Italian espresso and pretty bitter, and *gasp* a little brown sugar in it is really nice. I much preferred it to Sant Eustachio which felt much more touristy, and a much slower moving line due to less efficient baristas. Visit Giolitti for great Italian espresso and the best scoop of gelato you'll ever have.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mgwolf »

I would second the Tazza D'orro cafe. Crowded but the line moved fairly fast and you can buy fresh bags of their coffee (which I did). Very nice coffee, don't remember any bitterness and it was in a porcelain cup.

SutterMill

#16: Post by SutterMill »

I'd recommend both and compare. They're close to each other and the comparison could be fun

JamesB517 wrote: Sant Eustachio which felt much more touristy, and a much slower moving line due to less efficient baristas.
I had almost the opposite experience. Tazzo de Oro was packed and the line was slow. Sant Eustachio was moderately busy but service was excellent. The shots at each were completely different. Tazzo was more traditional, Sant Eustachio was lighter and more floral. If I had went in looking for traditional Italian espresso I would have been disappointed. I enjoyed both, but perhaps I got lucky.
I'd recommend visiting one, check out the Pantheon the visit the other.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by dparrish »

SutterMill wrote:I'd recommend both and compare. They're close to each other and the comparison could be fun

I had almost the opposite experience. Tazzo de Oro was packed and the line was slow. Sant Eustachio was moderately busy but service was excellent. The shots at each were completely different. Tazzo was more traditional, Sant Eustachio was lighter and more floral. If I had went in looking for traditional Italian espresso I would have been disappointed. I enjoyed both, but perhaps I got lucky.
I'd recommend visiting one, check out the Pantheon the visit the other.
I enjoyed both. Sant Eustachio was my favorite though...definitely something unique about their espresso. They claim it's the water. But milk chocolate, creamy. I have some in my freezer!

Paris92
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Paris92 »

mgwolf wrote:I would second the Tazza D'orro cafe. Crowded but the line moved fairly fast and you can buy fresh bags of their coffee (which I did). Very nice coffee, don't remember any bitterness and it was in a porcelain cup.
I will "third" Tazza D'orro also. A favorite with a great view of the Pantheon. I also bought a nice set of espresso cups and saucers there; which you said was something you were interested in.