Coffee House in Santa Barbara?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Nov 21, 2018, 8:00 pm

Any recommendations for good espresso in Santa Barbara? Heading out on Dec 1st for a week with my wife to hang out.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » replying to rockethead26 » Nov 22, 2018, 8:11 am

Hi Jim,

The wife and I were just there a month ago. We stopped at The French Press on State St. I had a latte and she had a Matcha latte. Both were very good. I also was told Handlebar was an excellent place but didn't get to try that one.

If the wife likes orchids go to Santa Barbara Orchid Estates. One of the best orchid nurseries in the world. Only 10 minutes from the French Press.

Enjoy your time in SB.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » replying to BaristaBob » Nov 22, 2018, 11:27 am

Thanks, Bob. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Nov 22, 2018, 1:07 pm

Go to Handlebar if you want very high quality espresso and/or espresso-based drinks. I haven't tried anything else there though. I stop there every time I'm in SB, or even when I'm driving past. They have 2 locations, but I've only been to the one on E. Cañon Perdido. I was just there Monday and it was good as ever. I'll be there again this Saturday on my way back to LAX.

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » replying to emradguy » Nov 22, 2018, 1:17 pm

Thanks! Looking forward to visiting Handlebar.

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Dec 03, 2018, 1:27 pm

Visited French Press yesterday. My wife and I both enjoyed our latte and cappuccino. Today at Handlebar and espresso is better, more punch in the milk drinks and quite tasty. Would recommenf either, with a definite nod to Handlebar.

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Dec 05, 2018, 3:40 am

Handlebar's 4 group Dutch machine is impressive

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Dec 06, 2018, 12:21 pm

Another followup. We went to the French Press locstion on Anacapa St and the espresso was every bit as good as Handlebar's. Not sure why the difference. Ambiance is better too.

rockethead26

Postby rockethead26 » Dec 07, 2018, 2:18 am

Went to the Santa Barbara Roasters today at the recommendation of a bar manager. Very mediocre, like a Starbucks. Don't bother.