Chicago-Milwaukee-NW Indiana Area Get Together - Page 5

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
User avatar
TomC
Team HB

#41: Post by TomC »

Sounds like a great event! It's cool that Sherman came! I miss that dude. Good guy!

So, the important question: what was the best whisk(e)y or bourbon? :D
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by ilVecchio »

It was an incredible afternoon, so many warm old friends. Thanks to all of you for this homecoming at Jim's.

User avatar
another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#43: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

TomC wrote:So, the important question: what was the best whisk(e)y or bourbon? :D
I liked the Glenlivet Nadurra, which is stored in Oloroso casks for a mere 6 years. Lots of sweet oak like a good bourbon, with a light dab of peat and malt. Reminded me more of US boutique whiskeys than the basic Glenlivet 12 year old.
Jim Schulman

Prairiedawg

#44: Post by Prairiedawg »

Thanks again Jim. Great time as always. My better half sends her thanks for the short ribs which were delicious as always. I'm already looking forward to Mike's in the spring as already trying to plan another show stopper at my place in the summer next year. I WILL advertise it here when we get to that point, unlike this year and last for obvious reasons.

Also, I enjoyed the Woodford Reserve Brandy cask finished Bourbon. Quite tasty.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Prairiedawg

#45: Post by Prairiedawg »

As discussed here and at Jim's and my place, my pizza oven has arrived. Last week due to the nice weather I was able to try it out. It works as advertised and makes excellent Neapolitan pies. I used Vito Iacopelli's dough recipe and it works great. We will be having pizza this year.

Please stay tuned.....


"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

User avatar
vberch

#46: Post by vberch »

That looks wonderful, John! My mouth is watering!

Congratulations!!
Prairiedawg wrote:As discussed here and at Jim's and my place, my pizza oven has arrived. Last week due to the nice weather I was able to try it out. It works as advertised and makes excellent Neapolitan pies. I used Vito Iacopelli's dough recipe and it works great. We will be having pizza this year.

Please stay tuned.....

User avatar
another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#47: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Wow. That's so good you need a Bay of Naples backdrop for your camera.
Jim Schulman

earlgrey_44

#48: Post by earlgrey_44 »

Cool. Looking forward to that...
I grind my own wheat and corn flour. I'll try and research that dough recipe John, maybe we can work something out as a experiment on the side?
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Prairiedawg

#49: Post by Prairiedawg »

another_jim wrote:Wow. That's so good you need a Bay of Naples backdrop for your camera.
Yeah, my back yard isn't as ascetically pleasing as the pizzas. I have some work to do.

earlgrey_44 wrote:Cool. Looking forward to that...
I grind my own wheat and corn flour. I'll try and research that dough recipe John, maybe we can work something out as a experiment on the side?
Yes definitely. We should try some things and collaborate. I also have some good whole wheat flour that I have been trying out baking bread. There's a guy up here who quit his job and decided to grow artisan and heritage wheat. I bought 10 lbs of Wisconsin Red Fife. Freshly ground and floral notes, great gluten. Still working on making better bread but I should be able to make it in the pizza oven also.

Here is the flour, https://www.anarchyacres.com/

Here's the pizza dough, https://www.copymethat.com/r/Hi4jgEqaw/ ... -iacopell/
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

User avatar
dominico
Team HB

#50: Post by dominico »

Prairiedawg wrote:Yeah, my back yard isn't as ascetically pleasing as the pizzas. I have some work to do.
just plant some rows of cypress trees and throw some terra cotta huts around and you'll be halfway there ;-)
http://bit.ly/29dgjDW
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?