Chicago-Milwaukee-NW Indiana Area Get Together -- Nov 5 2022 - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Prairiedawg

#21: Post by Prairiedawg »

another_jim wrote:I suspect we'll all love it; and you'll be critical.
Absolutely!
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

TomC
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC »

another_jim wrote:I am really looking forward to those three -- fruit bomb and oak aging flavors, what's not to love?
Come to California, that describes most of our Cabernet :mrgreen:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
vberch

#23: Post by vberch »

Jim, thank you very much for hosting another amazing get together! Your short ribs and salmon were to die for!! The wine and coffee, especially Colombian Grape and Pineapple coffees, were very interesting and delicious! It was really great to see everyone!

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#24: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

It was wonderful having everyone over. This time round was special; with our current dark and stormy politics, its a joy and hope to have people with very different lives and opinions be able to thoroughly enjoy each other's company. That's what cafes and coffee are for!

Vlad brought some great Ethiopian coffees, and an Elida Aaerobic we could think about -- do we like it as much as the natural or not? Daniel brought a fine old Bourbon and his amazing kids, who brightened up the place. Gary added some class to the food offerings, and John and Kristine brought amazing apple pie and ice cream. Dan brought some serious gear, the Decent and the Monolih Max.

We did some blind tests with the Max and Niche. At first, with singles and conventional doubles, it was pretty much a wash. But at faster flow rates, 1 gram per second for doubles, the Max did consistently better. So for coffees that profit from a long P/I and fast flow technique, 98mm may be a good choice.
Jim Schulman

earlgrey_44

#25: Post by earlgrey_44 »

This was indeed a particularly warm and enjoyable event.
Appreciation to everyone and thanks much for the hosting, Jim.
I also enjoyed pulling a shot from the great roasts available on The Machine That Cannot be Named. I also stand by my statement: we've assembled the most outstanding equipment, the most excellent beans, roasted by talented and experienced hands, enabling me to enjoy the flavors of bubble gum and manischewitz Concord. Does this seem odd somehow? :mrgreen:
And yes, Joel, I too miss our patriarch!
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Sideshow

#26: Post by Sideshow »

Thanks Jim; you're too kind. As usual, the quality of the food and drink was exceeded only by the quality of the company. Thanks for being such a gracious host!

Prairiedawg

#27: Post by Prairiedawg »

Thanks again Jim, it was great to see you and everyone else. These are always a success due to the time and effort everyone puts in, not just the host. A truly wonderful afternoon with great coffee, food, libations, and company. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Cheers everyone.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Advertisement
Team HB

#28: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Thanks for coming.

I forgot to mention Daniel's wife, Ruchina, and Dominic who brought the wine I'm sipping now, ...

... and, of course, the Manischewitz/sacramental wine flavored anaerobic coffee. I've been trying to blend it; and even at ten percent, it sticks out. Certainly not the best coffee ever, but definitely one of the most memorable. I'm going to try it in lots of different blends; maybe there's someplace where a dash of sacramental wine is just the ticket.
Jim Schulman

dominico
Team HB

#29: Post by dominico »

Jim: I need to source more Colombian Pineapple Anaerobic! Its the first coffee my wife has ever tasted that she actually likes.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Team HB

#30: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Gone forever, maybe. Burman had it as a limited experimental coffee (along with a sold out Meyer Lemon flavor and the communion wine one, which btw, didn't work with anything except blended with Robusta, 1:2). They didn't even say where in Colombia it came from, no info at all. You can email them, and try to get details.

There's been a bunch of anaerobics with these super clear flavors and super murky provenances. So much so that the processors and roasters are being accused of flavoring the coffee. Letting greens age in whisky and sherry barrels imparts their flavors; so my reverse engineering try would be to anaerobically process the beans with the whole fruits along with them in the vat. That way, they are not flavored or tainted, just processed; but you'd get the intense notes that coffees don't really have on their own.

As someone who loves oaked red wines and whiskies, I'm not going to point a finger. But a lot more transparency might be a good thing.
Jim Schulman