Chicago/Milwaukee Get Together Spring 2018 - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
vberch

#21: Post by vberch »

It's my pleasure, Michael! Thank you for hosting!
mdmvrockford wrote::)

Not to assume anything, please roast as you would like.

On PM with another_jim, he states he will bring same bean each roasted differently (one light roast and one espresso roast). The light roast will be subjected to the "VLT" (He-man pressure pull e.g. >12 bar, higher temperature, very fine grind) to see if it can mimic the taste of proper espresso roasted brewed under typical conditions..

Thank you in advance for your home professional roasts; initial post beans list updated.

vberch

#22: Post by vberch »

Michael, something came up and I unfortunately won't be able to make it on 3/24. See you guys next time.

mdmvrockford (original poster)

#23: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) »

vberch wrote:Michael, something came up and I unfortunately won't able to make it on 3/24. See you guys next time.
Bummer (really).
LMWDP #568

vberch

#24: Post by vberch replying to mdmvrockford »

Me too, believe me!

#25: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) »

About one week before the Saturday March 24, 2018 Chicago-Milwaukee Spring Get Together, I will PM everyone with my address (it is same as the 3/14/2015 meeting location).

UPDATE:
(1) Rockford Roasting Company (RRC):
I spoke earlier today with owner and head coffee roaster at Rockford Roasting company to notify him of the finalized 3/24/2018 date. Tentatively he states he should be able to be there even if he is not on schedule to work that day. He states his roast recently placed 2nd (wrt taste) in New Orleans SCAA event in past two weeks or so. He states he is looking forward to discussing with us (especially roasting). Luckily St. Patricks' Day is 3/17/2018 this time (last time in 2015 it was St. Patty's Parade in Rockford on same day 3/14/15 as going to RRC).

(2) Topics to discuss; I know these meeting are very informal but I list here as reminder to me and others to remind me as I will be busy with hosting duties
(a) Can one make a light roasted bean taste same as a proper espresso roast level for same bean origin [to the former light roasted bean applying high pressure and high temperature and very fine grind] (in blinded tasting)?
(b) Can the inverse of (a) be done [espresso roast bean made to taste like a light roasted bean] (in blinded tasting)?
(c) Why Star Wars Episode VIII TLJ is a mediocre film (I wrote a four page treatise of this particular movie)? Just kidding. Please pull me aside during the meeting if you really would like my opinion though :) I have both 10 second version and Tolstoy-length versions.

Please feel free to add coffee/espresso topics you'd like to discuss. I'll update the initial post closer to the actual meeting time.
LMWDP #568

#26: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) »

To all those who responded so far, I have sent two personal messages (PMs) in the past week: one PM with my home address and second PM with my cellular phone number. To those who attended the Chicago-Milwaukee Spring 2015 Pi Day (3/14/15) event, it is the same location.

Please see the first post which has been updated by me regularly since the initial posting. By my count, there will be nine persons (my two acquaintance if they show up will not be staying for food). SO PLEASE send me PM if you have yet to RSVP. If you respond via just this post I may not see it as I don't daily read this post. To newcomers, this is requested so that host (me) may plan appropriate quantity of main food dish (homemade pizza and homemade tossed salad).

Thank you.
LMWDP #568

brianl

#27: Post by brianl »

I just wanted to check in to see if there are any car pools going from the city. I'm over in Lincoln Park.

#28: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) replying to brianl »

brianl: Please send a PM to another_jim & barb and they will direct you of the carpool situation.

I do not want to assume anything but if anyone is worried about reported forecasted snow tomorrow (like my Boss who defacates a piece of masonry even if 1 inch snow), it really is not a big deal unless it is over 8 inches. And even then I-90 and the road to my home is major road in Rockford area that is always maintained very well. If there is snow, it just means you will not be able to drive as briskly as the usual speed of traffic in I-90.

I cannot vouch for I-43 for the Milwaukee folks. I can vouch that IL-173 is also well maintained too as it is major route for people in NW Illinois.

I look forward to meeting you all again (and for the new attendees I look forward to initial get together with you)!
LMWDP #568

Prairiedawg

#29: Post by Prairiedawg »

I will also be bringing some vanilla custard (ice cream) I made last night. Its made from vanilla we just brought back from Tahiti. It turned out very good. Tahitian vanilla is a bit different than normal vanilla. A different species with more floral characteristics than the stuff that come from Mexico or Madagascar. Seeing as everyone attending seems to have palates that like fine coffee, bourbons, wines, chocolates etc. I thought everyone could appreciate it as much as I do.
So hopefully Dr Mike You have a bit of freezer space.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

#30: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) replying to Prairiedawg »

Plenty of freezer space!
LMWDP #568